• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Broken Tap Removal

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
Somewhere in the literature there is mention of PEI using nitric acid in another refreshingly practical and painstaking application of his genius-perhaps Forty Years On.Someone out there will find it!Cheers,F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970

clevtrev

VOC Member
http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/books/Removing_Frozen_Taps.pdf

Mentions nitric acid as not attacking aluminum in concentrations over 82%. I think I would want to check that out thoroughly!

I broke an EZ Out off in a Burman box once and had it EDM'd out (spark erosion)
EZ out`s, I call them Hard outs. Just like yours. :))

What you could do, is take the part to your anodiser and get them to anodise it. Just don`t tell them that there is a broken tap in there. because if you do, you will not get the job done. After you get it back, you might have to pick a little bit of steel out, then return the part for stripping.
You`d be surprised what a few amps will do to a bit of steel.
Doesn`t do much for the anodising solution, though.

Last edited:

D C Rich

Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
I also had a tap "sparked" out of a thread, the risk is that the probe is not central and elongates the hole. Thats OK if a larger size thread is acceptable, otherwise you will need to get it "helicoiled" or similar.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Mine was done very nicely, the threads I picked out were a perfect little spring.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I had broken off a 1/4" bolt in the casing and then broke an EZ Out in the bolt. The "spring" was the bolt's threads.

vibrac

VOC Member
I actually smashed a broken tap (twice now I think about it) in aluminium by giving it a smart 'tap' on the broken end with a centre punch and bingo the tap fell into fragments (wear safety goggles)

Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.