Broken Tap Removal

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Somewhere in the literature there is mention of PEI using nitric acid in another refreshingly practical and painstaking application of his genius-perhaps Forty Years On.Someone out there will find it!Cheers,F5AB/2A/7945 since 1970

clevtrev

VOC Member
http://www.discoverlivesteam.com/books/Removing_Frozen_Taps.pdf

Mentions nitric acid as not attacking aluminum in concentrations over 82%. I think I would want to check that out thoroughly!

I broke an EZ Out off in a Burman box once and had it EDM'd out (spark erosion)
EZ out`s, I call them Hard outs. Just like yours. :))

What you could do, is take the part to your anodiser and get them to anodise it. Just don`t tell them that there is a broken tap in there. because if you do, you will not get the job done. After you get it back, you might have to pick a little bit of steel out, then return the part for stripping.
You`d be surprised what a few amps will do to a bit of steel.
Doesn`t do much for the anodising solution, though.

Last edited:

D C Rich

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I also had a tap "sparked" out of a thread, the risk is that the probe is not central and elongates the hole. Thats OK if a larger size thread is acceptable, otherwise you will need to get it "helicoiled" or similar.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I had broken off a 1/4" bolt in the casing and then broke an EZ Out in the bolt. The "spring" was the bolt's threads.

vibrac

VOC Member
I actually smashed a broken tap (twice now I think about it) in aluminium by giving it a smart 'tap' on the broken end with a centre punch and bingo the tap fell into fragments (wear safety goggles)