• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Misc: Everything Else Brakes, Linings, Drums and Shoes

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
I have heard that there is an optimum lining for either cast drums or steel drums (I think it was in the context of talking about cast V pressed drums) however I wonder if that applies to cast drums and those machined from steel Billet

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a bike that had a machined from billet steel drum but it didn't work as well as I hoped, I have since had a drum cast and I've machined that and there is no noticeable difference, unfortunately.

Matty

VOC Member
Hi If you look back on this thread you will see that my problem with poor brakes proved to be that I had steel drums with the incorrect linings for years and then Saftec said that steel drums need a woven green lining to work. Most Shadows use cast drums which work OK with the linings most brake reliners use but these do not work well with the steel drums most Comets have.
So I replaced the nearly new linings on the Comet front with green Saftec woven linings and bingo I have a very acceptable front brake.
Matty

Matty

VOC Member
For those who want to know about and setting up Vincent brakes, in addition to the above there is more and useful information in an excellent article by Michael Symonds on page 23 of the July 2020 issue of MPH.
Though whatever method is used, it becomes obvious how to do it once the mechanics are understood

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?