F: Frame Black Lightning Rear Fender Bracket

Keith Martin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I can not find a part number for the rear most bracket on a lightning rear fender. Looking at photos it looks like a front bracket. Is it a front fender bracket used on rear? Is it made for the lightning special as the mounting bolts are 3/8" not the 1/4" like on the front. I have drilled one out but the bend and tabs on the bracket does not fit well.

LoneStar

VOC Member
The earlier postwar spares list, where parts are organized by group, has an item FT22/3AS in the group "X. MUDGUARD (FENDER)": Rear Guard Stay. It lists 1 off, for the Lightning model only. Not illustrated, though.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Does anyone have the dimensions or a drawing of FT22/3AS (Lightning rear guard stay) that they could share?

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
There are two clear side-on photographs on the "Lightning Pages" at thevincent.com. You should be able to get all other dimensions from setting up against the rear guard and your RFM. Tube material is 1/2" o.d. x .031" wall thickness mild steel. The curve may be 3" radius, but I'm not sure, so try a cardboard template first. I have seen photographs of Grey Flashes with front and rear stays of what looks like 1/8" x 1" alloy (Birmabright?). A good source of the right Birmabright is pre- 1960 Land Rovers.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks… It seems the tube with .031 wall is hard to find locally. Not many pre 60 Land Rovers lying around here. Folks actually collect those! I prefer the 1/2 tube anyway, so will find something close.
For bending, I have some Cerrobend so will give that a go. Hopefully quicker than making a die that will likely get used once. Rear stay looks weird in this photo.
714054F7-A888-442F-B66C-C4E7B4C4AF9C.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks. I have a short front stay, so will try that out once I get the other bits sorted out. I also have a rather mangled long stay, but would have to change the flats on the ends…. assuming I can salvage it. I got my fenders btw. Will be dining on Kraft Dinner for the foreseeable future.

Not sure what to make of the stay on Len’s bike. It’s original to the bike as far as I know.

davidd

VOC Member
I used a Harper's front mudguard on the rear and a front mudguard stay, without modification.

3407Benson_1.jpg

This seemed to work well with the original wheels. If you are making a mudguard for the rear, it was quite long on the original bikes. The mudguard projected much lower than the pivot.

Free Lightnin at Factory Primary Side (2).PNG

David

Last edited by a moderator:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Were front racing mudguards typically 120 degrees of arc, while rears where 180 degrees???

Edit - yes, just checked Richardson, in the chapter on Racing, "Regulation pattern racing mudguards cover 120 degrees of the front wheel and 180 degrees at the rear".

I guess the regulations did not dictate where the starting and ending points were, so based on where the rear fender was desired to end, the corresponding starting point 180 degrees opposite ended up being well below the RFM pivot ( or vice versa).

Last edited:

Cyborg

VOC Member
That’s interesting. I just went and looked. My new rear fender is actually more and 180 degrees. I also had the Richardson book in my hands this morning, but never thought to look in there. Don’t want it too low on the rear or wheel removal would be challenging.