Misc: Everything Else Bits and Bobs

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My first motorcycle, a '43 Harley, had an old chain, um, actually the whole thing was pretty abused, the chain had at one time about a doz. master links in it. It finally went the opposite way I was heading one day and I used my last spare link to get home. Went and bought a new chain later that day. I think if you carry them, you'll never need them :)

Colin

VOC Member
Don't knock it. I trialled "The Arbuthnot Iron" any number of times with more than one joining link and/or cranked links, to get the right gearing, and it never let me down

vibrac

VOC Member
I am clearing my garage of 'scrap' I have nearly overloaded my van! there were bits there that I last saw in 1962. Amazingly I knew one part was a link from the girder fork of a big port AJS I buried in the garden of the house I left when I was 15:eek: (twat that I am I kept it)
Interestingly I found the ratio between "cr*p" and "I may need that one day" is now about 2 to 1 it used to be .5 to 1 I guess that's a factor caused by how many 'days' I consider I have left....
NB There are definitely no Vincent parts in the 'cr*p' piles

Alyson

VOC Member
Somewhere, in the back of my head, I remember reading a story of a Rapide that went to the dump. There must have been a time when a Vincent was not worth more than (I hate to say it) garbage.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Wasn't there a story where someone rescued a Rap from the breaker's yard and the "technicians" were trying to pound the head studs out of the brackets that were still bolted to the UFM?

Colin

VOC Member
Back in 1954 I cut the solid petrol pipe off my 197 Ambassador because it kept breaking . I replaced it with a new invention then on the market, namely a piece of flexible rubber tube.
Although new to motorbiking, at the time, somehow, I knew, I just KNEW, I should keep that piece of old solid pipe.
How right I was ( the Hoarders instinct was with me even at that young age , you see it is INSTINCT, and is not learned ,nor discarded)
That bit of old pipe was EXACTLY what I needed to repair something else only a few days ago!. It is neither here nor there that it took me 3 days to find it, and my workshop had to be turned upside down, it was the right pipe at the right time. What more do you need to prove you should NEVER throw anything away. "It might come in handy ,dear"