• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

BIke Has Arrived

Steve Morris

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
Hi all,

My bike has arrived and is now in my possession. So, question is, how do i record the bike as now being mine?

Also, has anyone got any advice reference insurance? I have a multi bike insurance policy at the moment and will speak to them but am not sure how it will go?

Best regards,

Steve.

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi all,

My bike has arrived and is now in my possession. So, question is, how do i record the bike as now being mine?

Also, has anyone got any advice reference insurance? I have a multi bike insurance policy at the moment and will speak to them but am not sure how it will go?

Best regards,

Steve.
https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
You can do it here and sorn it at the same time if you have to

Steve Morris

VOC Member
Also, the previous owner gave me an Altette horn (which the bike didn't have) that wasn't working. A couple of hours stripping/cleaning/adjusting and it now a quite pretty 'working' horn!

Before.....

IMG_4630 (1).jpg
IMG_4631 (1).jpg IMG_4634 (1).jpg IMG_4635 (1).jpg IMG_4637 (1).jpg

Stripped...

IMG_4638 (1).jpg

Tested OK!!!

IMG_4640 (1).jpg

Clean up time....

IMG_4642 (1).jpg

That looks better, just painting the centre bezel and polishing the brass nut to do tomorrow.

IMG_4643 (1).jpg IMG_4644 (1).jpg

And it works....

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
If that is the alloy bezel, which to me is preferable, I think it is for a 1949 model. At least that is what Taff the horn told me many years ago when he supplied me with one. If I am correct you could always replace the bezel with a new, or old, chrome one, if you want 100% originality.

chankly bore

VOC Member
You can buy the correct acorn nuts from Taff or make them yourself from 3/8" hex brass stock. 4 x 1 B.A. threaded and the two mounting ones are 1/4" B.S.F. Good old Lucas. Some other acorn nuts sold are for later horns or are just wrong.

chankly bore

VOC Member
Well done, Steve. Looks like a good practical bike. The only things I'd change immediately are the high tension lead's path and the speedo. cable. Get someone from a local Section to run their eye and ear over it and USE IT! Numerous small corrections needed if it wants to be carted around on a F*&^%$#! trailer.

Rob H

VOC Member
If that is the alloy bezel, which to me is preferable, I think it is for a 1949 model. At least that is what Taff the horn told me many years ago when he supplied me with one. If I am correct you could always replace the bezel with a new, or old, chrome one, if you want 100% originality.
Looks like a post 51 model from the info I got from taff some time ago ALTETTES Period.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
Just had a look at the photos Steve and there is one thing you will have to watch out for. Someone has put what appears to be a front mudguard stay on to the rear chain guard where it might hit the underside of the rear of the saddle. Watch out for that and if necessary change the single looped stay to two shorter stays (possibly FT22/4). The purist will know better than I exactly which part number is required.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looks like a post 51 model from the info I got from taff some time ago View attachment 21317
Thanks for this. It looks like the alloy bezel is OK for 49 to 53, so presumably Taff supplied me with the correct horn for my bike. I was wrong to assume the alloy bezel was only for 1949. The alloy version must have been a good manufacturing option in the year when chrome was in short supply.

chankly bore

VOC Member
Just had a look at the photos Steve and there is one thing you will have to watch out for. Someone has put what appears to be a front mudguard stay on to the rear chain guard where it might hit the underside of the rear of the saddle. Watch out for that and if necessary change the single looped stay to two shorter stays (possibly FT22/4). The purist will know better than I exactly which part number is required.
FT22/4 stays, two required, I saw it, but sorry I failed to notice the clearance problem!