Misc: Everything Else Series 'D' Best SS Wheel Sizes on a Black Prince?

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The special flange would have been larger o.d. for wider spacing of 48 spokes. Anyway, the weak place in Vincent wheels stays the same, the 5 resp. 10 bolts holding drums, flanges onto the alu hubs - with cracks and all.
For my homemade wheels I went for bigger dia. alu hubs and spokes hooked into alu drums with shorter spokes. They should have specified bolt holes in a lot bigger flange and hub diameter for less load on spokes and torque on bolts.

Vic
P1100224.JPG

P1100239.JPG

robin

VOC Member
The 48 spoke wheels were designed to go with either 13" or 15" sidecar wheels. This enabled sidecar riders to achieve anything between 10,000 and 14,000 miles out of their tyres rather than the normal 2000 miles achieved by many of us.
I fitted 1 set of 48 spoke wheels to a solo with 18/18" wheels, which was ridden, at high speed, over dirt roads. They did not disintegrate in use.
I have 2 48 spoke hole rims ( I can not remember whether they are 13 or 15") for sale , if anybody wants them. Please contact me.
Robin.

This post should state the sale price for the items. Ed

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Adams

VOC Member
I would stick with the original sizes or WM2 19 front and WM3 18 rear using he new AM Road Rider tyres from Avon. They dont look out of place on a Vincent and give good grip.
Dont forget to paint the rim centers black with the red pin stripe.

Bill Stevens

New Forum User
VOC Member
Despite their modern appearance, the new Bridgestone BT46 Batalax are true vintage bias ply sport touring tires. Excellent handling on wet or dry roads and good mileage. Modern silica rubber compounds offer true advantage over traditional rubber compounds. Available in a wide range of sizes.

tom wilson

VOC Member
The special flange would have been larger o.d. for wider spacing of 48 spokes. Anyway, the weak place in Vincent wheels stays the same, the 5 resp. 10 bolts holding drums, flanges onto the alu hubs - with cracks and all.
For my homemade wheels I went for bigger dia. alu hubs and spokes hooked into alu drums with shorter spokes. They should have specified bolt holes in a lot bigger flange and hub diameter for less load on spokes and torque on bolts.

Vic
View attachment 54339

View attachment 54340
That is very nice engineering you have done, very skilful.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
On my "B" everyday bike21" x WM4 with 90/90 Avon trailrider and 410 /90 xWM5 (3") again Avon trailrider 10mm tread depth 10k miles. the extra wide front rim gives much better ride as the pressure is reduced to 20 psi.

tom wilson

VOC Member
On my "B" everyday bike21" x WM4 with 90/90 Avon trailrider and 410 /90 xWM5 (3") again Avon trailrider 10mm tread depth 10k miles. the extra wide front rim gives much better ride as the pressure is reduced to 20 psi.
Interesting a WM4 and WM5 i was thinking along the same lines but was not too sure there would be room between the forks/mudguards and also the swing arm. Just not too sure on the trail riders as I ride on the tarmac with no off/rough roading.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Tom my handsome I only use the road but the tyres have always given me confidence & very good mileage and the added section gives me the comfort of a modern bike and my wife at 85 always gets the best so she will keep getting her leg over which is more than I do.

tom wilson

VOC Member
Tom my handsome I only use the road but the tyres have always given me confidence & very good mileage and the added section gives me the comfort of a modern bike and my wife at 85 always gets the best so she will keep getting her leg over which is more than I do.
Hi Marcus love your style, at 85 you must keep riding as long as she lets you ..... be very careful with soft ..... tyres, handle her carefully and treat her nice ...... after all these Vincent bikes are superb ...... keep em turning.