Misc: Everything Else Belt Drive Conversion

• Thread starter Graham Smith
  • Start date

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I made up this style of combo cush drive/spacer/sprocket mount for the 920 Norton project. It has a very generous amount of rubbery spring to it. When the cush plate is held in the vice the sprocket can be twisted forward and back a visible amount just with hand pressure.
It's important to get the correct hardness of material for the bushings. I had advice on that from a friend who experimented with various types of cush material on his race bike.
So far it is holding up to the 920 which is a high torque engine.
The bolts have since been replaced with some good titanium items.
Screenshot_20231217_053715_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20231217_053647_Drive.jpg

Glen

oexing

VOC Member
Glen, I wonder where that wheel gets any range of cush when ALL space in the holes is filled with rubber or so at 100 % . This leads to solid locked unit, unless you provide some space that can squash, like a hole in the rubber. Not talking about usefulness of a cushdrive in the rear wheel when on a chain machine, there should be some bearing somewhere for taking up chain pull plus rotational loads with a cush drive, so some bush or bearing has to be included.
Some time ago when I did some adjustments on the 460 cc Horex with China friction plates in the clutch I changed old hardened rubbers in the clutch "cush" for a set of 3 o-rings each on alu cylinders I turned up . So am a bit worried reading Greg`s reports about the Alton cush "ESA" on the electric start set. Well, time will tell - and I don´t do much of bike trips any more at plus 70 . . . .

Vic
P1100685.JPG

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The rubbers are about 80 thou narrower than the plate. They bulge up nicely when torque is applied.
The movement is about what I was looking for, not a massive amount just a springy cush in the drive line to greatly reduce shock loads. The greater the shock load the greater the movement.
I checked it in the vice with both hand pressure and with a small amount of leverage applied. It's definitely cushy!

Last edited: