battery ignition for Comet 1954

• Thread starter charlottevictoria
  • Start date

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Bill, The capacitor comes with very good instructions. You have to disconnect the capacitor in the drive end of the armature, but not necessarily remove it,
It looks to be the way to go, you could carry a spare in your tool kit if you felt the necessity. Regards John.

Ken Tidswell

VOC Member
I would suggest that John from Auchterarder , gives sound advice . If the windings are not breaking down under load,the removing the capacitor and substituting a Brighspark replacement is the most economical route. Coil ignition will take 2 amperes of the maximum 10 amps output of your dynamo if it is a Lucas at 6volts. assuming a 35/30 watt headlamp bulb.So you are not going to overload the dynamo, it you go to coil ignition. It is true to say that some magneto repairers use an unsuitable capacitor. This may be part of your problem. So you have a choice. Ken

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
If the ATD is not secure on the shaft of your magneto then you will have starting problems - I know because I had this problem. The solution is to use FINE valve grind paste to lap the taper of the ATD to the taper of the magneto shaft, taking care not to allow it access to the bearings. Once I did this my ignition became very stable.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I went through that, too. But, it made me pretty fast at re-timing the mag at roadside.

vibrac

VOC Member
I dont use any suppression either inside plug or cap.

I have heard that suppression caps are not really required now VHF & analog TV is a thing of the past in the UK
Now we are digital they are not affected -unles you have a conversion digi box then nothing works properly anyway :)
Any 'wired' owners around who can enligten us if its true?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
I have heard that suppression caps are not really required now VHF & analog TV is a thing of the past in the UK
Now we are digital they are not affected -unles you have a conversion digi box then nothing works properly anyway :)
Any 'wired' owners around who can enligten us if its true?

I dunno but there's a retired copper down my road who likes to watch the gee gees on TV of an afternoon. He would frequently suddenly jump to the window and glower at me as I rode past 'unsuppressed'. He hasn't done it lately.