Balance Factor

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A twisted main-shaft is not a shifted crank assembly, which, at least had high torque nuts as retainers. Even though a main-shaft twisted .... measurement disclosed they were still pretty darn true.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . It's not the speed I'm implying but it's a fact that in three years of weekend racing I only lost one cam lobe and it's follower . PERIOD . Total reliability .
And many know that Vincent riders covered HUGE mileages touring all over Europe and elsewhere , one led tours over an increadable mileage . Our own Bill Easter has done the same . Other average guys ran them steadily for decades , run up huge mileage . Those horrors you describe did not affect most Vincents to my knowledge . How else do so many of a small production still exist , many others long laid aside still readily accept restoration , rebuild and are returned to use on the road , just as good as new ?
I don't recognize the machine you describe , a poor thing made of lead and pewter . Our two racers have done fairly well , barn and garden shed finds .
Methinks you belittle them too much . They are far better than that .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
The machines have lasted so long due to dedicated owners willing to correct the original poorly designed bits..... some at great expense.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I submit that very few bits were poorly designed or made considering the moment in time of their production and the poor machinery and financial condition of the factory , and with the underpaid employees that made them . They created a miracle of soul and beauty never equaled , records around the world and undying love in the hearts of their owners .
Two guys rode a Shadow steadily almost every day for 100,000 miles , solo and sidecar through the worst of weathers to prove its worth and durability with few replacements and never a carbon removal or valve job .
Tell me any other bike in 52 that could have equaled that feat . No one will convince me otherwise .
Who in the late 40s produced the equal of a Black Lightning in beauty and performance ? No one on Earth . My case rests .
There is simply no counter argument . Sid .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
This just stinks. Now you have me saying the Vincent was a bad motorcycle and now you have to defend it from the likes of me. I haven't tried to convince you of anything so there is no argument in the first place. I pointed out some serious design flaws... all of which in
my rebuilds were corrected in such a way that it was impossible to happen again..... including porous cases and "silly-putty"flywheels.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sorry if it looked that way Rip . You were an increadable Vincent wrench and innovater , a steady flow of new ideas came out of your shop . I also had my hands in many of them and did pretty good myself at returning them to their owners as far better runners .
None ever came back . All pleased their riders , many are STILL doing that , eating up the road as designed . Must have done something right .
I've always considered myself a fettler not a machinest like you certainly are . I can make them run happily and sing their song of power , everything working smoothly in concert . Our approach is different , I'm a people person and a motorcycle lover , especially Vincents . You on the other hand will reinvent , design anew , criticize every detail and see it done differently , maybe better . But we are different that way . Chalk and cheese . Yet I appreciate your talents , always have but I can't be you , see things as you see them .
I have no anger in my heart over this childish prattle , it's of little import in our troubled world .
You visited my bike business as did Irving and many other top line Vincent people . We shared interests and love for these machines . Our youth was sweet then , green and full of promise . A garden of possibilities . Now both are way down life's road .
There's no need for rancor between us , would be stupid .
At 82 I'm still doing it out in the shop , but far slower . Don't think you are , maybe I'm wrong . But my love for Vincents still burns brightly , can't ride nor even start one but what the hell ! There's a Rapide to finish and after that a Comet motor to assemble .
May God give me time and the strength to see them done . Happy New Year ! Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
I'm sorry if this became boring or tedious . Vincents were so much a part of my life that I can't but express my feelings . Sid .

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I suggest that this thread should confine itself to the original topic of "Balance Factor".

Thank you gentlemen.

willabilla998

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Sid,
My Shadow has almost 10K miles on a full rebuild. It has recently developed a vibration in the handle bars and visible on the tank that peaks at 70mph. By 80mph the vibe is totally gone. The vibration seems to be there at the same rpm in all gears its just more noticeable at 70mph Is this symptomatic of "balance factor"? The concentric MkII's are sync'ed as close as i can get them with a mechanical flow meter.