Balance Factor

Rob H

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It is impossible to make a Vin dead smooth at all RPMs as this factor is a compromise to give you the smoothness at the most used RPM range. So, it stands to reason that there are going to be other RPMs not so smooth. Oddly, the machines I built also had
80 mph in the sweet spot. To me it does not sound like you have trouble. Check out what bothers you vibrating in tune with the frequency of that exact range and do a little adjusting or remounting of those components. Crazy, but handlebars and vibration frequency
can modified with Gorilla glue which weighs nothing.... plug on end.... wet the inside... and pour in a bunch of Gorilla Glue. it will expand a lot as it turns into foam..... let it do it's thing and cut off the mess at the open upper end when dry. Amazing.

Interesting!, how much Gorilla Glue do you need for a set of bars?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When using Gorilla Glue in woodworking, you sometimes need to moisten the mating faces of the wood, apparently the glue needs water. Did you add any water inside the handlebar?

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Never did the glue trick but it sounds like a winner , should damp out the harmonic response , chiming in effect . Sid .

b'knighted

VOC Member
Bar end weights are sold for fitting to modern bikes but I always use a Stadium style bar end mirror and have not noticed them blurring on Vincents like they did on Triumphs.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . About engine roughness . External factors enclude detonation from overly lean mixtures and ignition timing being too far advanced . Many magneto cam rings produce undesirably early firing on one lobe resulting in detonation and need stoning to bring this early point break into an acceptable range . Few bother to check the timing on both cylinders so this escapes notice .
It's best to retain the late breaking lobe and instead Dremel down the earlier contacting lobe to acheve the timing desired on both cylinders . Polish off the rough surface afterwards to eliminate rapid wear on the fibre heel , and a tiny touch of grease here is wise , on both lobes of course .

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Concerning how much Gorilla to use.... just get a small bottle and use it all.... I'll bet it no time you will have this sloppy mess of foam running out of the top end and drooling down the sides. Don't bother to try and clean it before it sets up completely (what a mess)
but scrape the outside of the bars later..... come to think of it... heavily wax or tape the bars outside first. Bruce is right in that water cures it.... which is why I said to wet the inside before you pour it in..... just wet walls.... no puddle at the bottom.

vibrac

VOC Member
If like me you are shoring up the crunbling edifices of petrol tanks being atacked by the twin evils of the EU and the Green party (Ethanol) you may find that the excess SPLOSH you drain out of the tank is just the stuff to put down your bars. SPLOSH is set by water too

NB I just read that the contents of one Landrover tank of Ethanol uses enough maize to feed a man for a year -A maize ing!