Baja Auto reported to have purchased the "Vincent" Name and Brand.

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had asked a question in another post last week about the ownership of the Vincent name when we were chatting about the new BSA being very heavy and as heavy as the Enfield Interceptor and low and behold after a wee search!

Baja Auto the world's fourth largest motorcycle manufacturer looks to have acquired the naming/brand rights to the Vincent motorcycle.

The company from India are rumoured according to Visor Down" to be considering a new range of Vincent named motorcycles in line with their competition such as BSA and Enfield.
The Indian publication "Rush Lane" has shown the very recent change in the registration of the Vincent trademark/brand as now belonging to Baja Auto motorcycle manufacturers.

From memory Baja make KTM and Husqvarna bikes for the european based manufacturers in India.
Baja Auto is one of the partners building the new light weight 350 Triumphs at there factory in India.

My view is:
It would be a pity to see the name used again on such a bike.
What do you think?
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
This needs checking but I understand after Indian got involved in the fifties the Vincent brand ownership got split between USA and UK. with Mr Holder holding rights in UK I think Bernard Li may have held it in US for a while then who knows? HRD I think is held by the VOC club.
I am surprised that the name has not been used before with all the stuff spouted about it by the uniformed over the years but it would take a real quality bike to do it justice.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I read a report about this yesterday and two things came to mind. With modern pollution limits the bikes would probably have to be water cooled and fuel injected. The Indus have already shown they can do the fuel injected part of that on the Enfield's. However, their bikes are heavy and it will be a real challenge to keep the weight down to that of an original Vincent. I hope they can make a bike we would be happy to see . continue the Vincent name.

delboy

VOC Member
As I recall, In the UK anyone can check the registration of the word VINCENT in Motor vehicle parts, which would apply to motor vehicle parts with the word VINCENT on them. [as opposed to motor vehicle parts without the word on, or crockery or tee shirts or whatever with the name on]
Also, a licence agreement could be reached.
Precedent use may also apply.
Logos are different again. [Not necessarily with the word Vincent in] someone else may have registered some of those. [Vincent factory never did]
Company names are also separate.
Whether UK registration now covers Europe, who knows?
And then there's USA, which is a whole new can of worms.
So, it's not entirely straightforward, and it may all have changed?

Going by previous projects, if someone wants to blow zillions of pounds making trick Vincents, good luck. [but who actually WANTS a trick Vincent?] But, I'd put my money in Premium Bonds!
Regards,
delboy.

CarlHungness

VOC Member
My research showed Mr. Holder held the rights in the UK and did not renew them for the remainder of the world. Bernard Li and anyone else could have used the Vincent name in the USA, and if the bikes were sold in the UK Holder would have to be satisfied with royalty.
This needs checking but I understand after Indian got involved in the fifties the Vincent brand ownership got split between USA and UK. with Mr Holder holding rights in UK I think Bernard Li may have held it in US for a while then who knows? HRD I think is held by the VOC club.
I am surprised that the name has not been used before with all the stuff spouted about it by the uniformed over the years but it would take a real quality bike to do it justice.

A_HRD

VOC Member
From my experience of the quality of Indian-made parts I can't see this proposal to manufacture Vincents being successful at all! And it's not just the poor quality of the parts; can we trust India's choice of materials and heat-treatments, etc? I certainly hope that we don't get flooded by useless spare parts arriving from India. There's enough of those on ebay already!

Just my opinion.

Peter B

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Unfortunately, Bajaj will do what they want. On the other hand, it seems likely that a new style Vincent wouldn't share many (any?) parts with ours and would require massive investment to be legal in the US, UK, and EU. Also, buyers might avoid it until there was a good record of reliability and the styling was good enough. So it might make a big splash then not sell enough to keep going. I don't wish them failure, but VOCers probably can't be pleased with any legal recreation and a Vin-looking bike wouldn't be too much different from any other sportbike.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Given world market for small capacity machines is a strong growth area.
Keep an eye on Triumphs plans.

I predict a sub 500cc single, a new Vincent Comet based around either the euro compliant Honda single or the KTM/Huskey single both established off the shelf motors utilised in many specials under differing names.
Fine suspension units from Ohlins or WP, Brembo or similar full floating abs brakes hung on 17 inch alloy spoked flanged rims.
Looks along the lines of the CCM Spitfire with stressed member engine swung between front and rear trellis frame by Harris.
Frame geometry GSXR 750.
An alloy braced swingarm, floating seat as per original Feradex Vincent shaped unit.
Front end a round single 7 inch headlight and five inch electronic speedo containing all the usual warning lights, a choice of bars straight,clip on or touring.
Stop light as per original Miller design and alloy guards front and rear.
Tidy tail unit with lucas style number plate holder fitted to alloy guard containing indicators.
Price 16k- 18k Euros
Oh think I sold it to myself.....
Available colours, black and chinese red.
Al

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Wow, I can just see current Vincent enthusiasts flocking to buy one, I hope they knock one up in time for next years Far Far North Rally! or alternatively, why not just go and purchase any modern naked bike, and stick a Vincent transfer on the fuel tank.