• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

B/C Standard Dualseat

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member

I'm in the market for a new standard PR1 B/C dualseat for my concours '50Shadow. I was going to build one from scratch but, being retired, I don't have the time.

I'm looking for one that is dimensionally accurate, has all the right steelwork inside, has a quality wooden base that has been properly surface-sealed and won't rot in a couple of years, is comfortable to sit on, has the right cover stitching (and fixing to the base) and won't give my bank manager a heart attack.

I'd be grateful for comments/experiences from anyone who has purchased a seat in the last couple of years from one of our usual suppliers.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dualseat

Hi Pete,

I am sure I am about to teach grandmother to suck eggs but here goes. What is an original seat? Over the years I have re-constructed several Ferridax seats. It seems that the earliest seats contained all the iron works that are shown in KTB and used the Dunlopillo cushion with more ‘sway’ in the shape representing more closely two single saddles. The earliest cover that I had was made up of 12 pieces – 1 at the front, 1 at the back, 3 for each side and 4 for the top. This was the most tailored of the covers. Later covers had the sides made in one piece and the top reduced to 3 and later even to 2. Mr. G. Bailey who advertises in MPH can supply covers that most closely resemble the early covers but they are tailored to fit the original Dunlopillo and not the current composite foam, which is a different shape. The modern foam does not easily accommodate the original iron work, especially the rear hoop. The rear hoop is made of 5/8” od tube with flats at each end set so that it sits at approximately 45 degrees. The original Dunlopillo had a recess to accommodate this hoop. It seems that Mr Ferriday dropped this rear hoop eventually as it produced a very hard end to the pillion as my missus can testify. To get an original Dunlopillo cushion seems to be impossible. Unfortunately as they age they form a scaly crust on the surface, which breaks down into a fine reddy-brown powder which mysteriously appears and coats the rear mudguard. It also seems to be the case that the under-the-seat bracketry differs one from another and that one seat will not necessarily fit another machine especially across the friction stays. Another case of selected assembly perhaps?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It also seems to be the case that the under-the-seat bracketry differs one from another and that one seat will not necessarily fit another machine especially across the friction stays. Another case of selected assembly perhaps?

And I suppose they put the faster ones on Shadows? ;)

Rapide Rider

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
When I stripped my seat down it had the original Dunlopillo foam in almost perfect condition. It will certainly be reused when the seat is rebuilt , well not really rebuilt as I will need to use all new parts , the foam is the only reusable part !!
I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that a new mould was being commissioned to make new Dunlopillo foams ?

Alan J

VOC Member
Best to make your own base-foam is more of a problem-I bought one it was rubbish-I put the old one back with a thin foam on top. I think if you carry a pillion regularly the seat is too short {we are mostly larger than in 1947} I believe actually there is a longer one on the market? :confused::confused:

nkt267

VOC Member
This is most likely not the ideal thread for this but the longer saddle is GREAT.
I no longer have to ride the bike sat on the petrol cap.The old b*m is not as numb after a few miles.the only draw back is that MY back is not kept as warm as it was..
Can be supplied by Voc or R K Leightons of Birmingham who I believe made D seats for the factory..john

ET43

Seat frames

If it helps anyone, I can supply a full size drawing of all of the metal work found in the earlier seats. I would need a large sae for you to receive the drawings. I also can supply longer seat curves in fibreglassif you wish to make a suitably altered seat frame.
Thenkyou. deliberate spelling mistake, ET43

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you are prepared to consider a longer seat then Glyn and Marianne Baxter were very impressed with their new purchase of one of these from the Club Shop. They told me that not only was there much more space but that it was a much softer foam and was the most comfortable seat they had used.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dunlopillo

When I stripped my seat down it had the original Dunlopillo foam in almost perfect condition. It will certainly be reused when the seat is rebuilt , well not really rebuilt as I will need to use all new parts , the foam is the only reusable part !!
I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that a new mould was being commissioned to make new Dunlopillo foams ?

If you intend to store the Dunlopillo foam for any time keep it out of sunlight and keep it covered in a cool place. It would appear that heat and light are the cause of the deteriorating crust forming.
For many years I played with Traditional Broads Sailing Cruisers and owned an ex-hire sloop. These usually had Dunlopillo mattresses for the berths. They frequently suffered the dreaded skin disease because of inadequate off season storage.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Club seats

I bought a new standard seat from VOC. It is much more comfortable than the original (the front lugs of which had twisted forwards, one eventually fracturing), which was still much better than most other seats I've put my bum on. I also think the new one looks a lot better with a slightly (but not excessively) "grainy" cover. Minimises perspiration over those long, hot, summer days. Or day.

Tom

If you are prepared to consider a longer seat then Glyn and Marianne Baxter were very impressed with their new purchase of one of these from the Club Shop. They told me that not only was there much more space but that it was a much softer foam and was the most comfortable seat they had used.

A_HRD

VOC Member
More About Seats - and ebay

Well, I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a seat; no one seat available seems to have ALL the right attributes! So "build your own" becomes the only real alternative. However, there is a GENUINE Vincent seat on ebay at the moment - see what you think at #300391255440. I wrote and told him its not a genuine Vincent seat. But he is adamant it is because, he says, it came off a Vincent. Series E perhaps?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Albervin

VOC Member
"Genuine Vincent"

Well, I still haven't taken the plunge and bought a seat; no one seat available seems to have ALL the right attributes! So "build your own" becomes the only real alternative. However, there is a GENUINE Vincent seat on ebay at the moment - see what you think at #300391255440. I wrote and told him its not a genuine Vincent seat. But he is adamant it is because, he says, it came off a Vincent. Series E perhaps?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
:confused:No mention on the page about Vincent, maybe he was told more than once. I have just been "stung" by someone advertising a Bluemels tyre pump suitable for a Vincent. After paying over £60 plus postage to Australia it turns out to be all plastic.
As only pre war Vincents used Bluemels pumps this is obviously a deception but the seller doesn't think so. It is jamestennant63 & he advertises Dunlop & Apex pumps suitable for Vincents as well. If we all tell him he is mistaken it may have an effect.
There is also someone trying to flog a pump off as Vincent; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APEX-OLD-M-C-...cycle_Parts?hash=item2a04616f53#ht_500wt_1182
why don't we all tell him he is wrong? Remember there are people out there who own Vincents & are not in the club. That is no reason why we can't use our knowledge to reduce fraud, deception, greed & stupidity....
My seat on the B Rapide has "Feridax" screen printed or painted in gold. It is quite textured & has only 5 panels (back, front, top, 2 sides) but looks tight & good.. There is some interesting stitching of a rib around the rear curve above the mudguard. Is it original? It is at least 42 years old... & is fastened with tacks. Unless I pull a tack out I have no idea what type as they are all in place very nicely thank you.

A_HRD

VOC Member
More on Dual-Seats

Ah, the power of the forum! The "Genuine Vincent Shadow/Rapide/Comet Dualseat" has been removed from ebay and is now listed as a "British Bike Seat" under # 300391255440. Fair dues to the guy, he has done the decent thing in the end - despite telling me it came off a Vincent, therefore it must be "Original"! :rolleyes: I guess he got a few more complaints, thanks guys. :D

I agree entirely with Albervin, it is encumbent on us to expose items that are fraudulent or simply mis-informed. I'll continue to do my bit...

OK, so what sort of tacks were used originally to secure seat-covers to the base? Wouldn't it be nice to lobby the current manufacturers of replica seats to use the correct thing.... Of course staples take seconds to fit with automated staple guns - but that's not the point here.

Peter B
Bristol, UK

Albervin

VOC Member
Genuine & Original

S/S staples are the pits. I have just had a couple of hundred removed from the door trim of a 1950s Riley. The good thing about tacks & panel pins is you can ease them out & back in again. Not so with staples. Easy for the restorer/manufacturer but a pain
in the ar*e for everyone else... Now, those genuine Vincent headlights......................:p

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
VMCC advertise replica motorcycle pumps. I took no great notice since i didn't want one, but expect that at least they'll be what they are advertised to be.
(I carry a double action mountain bike pump, c/w pressure gauge, in a pannier. It can be switched between high volume low pressure and the reverse. Clever stuff. It cost £9 from Sainsburys...)

stumpy lord

VOC Member
hi pete,
if you are going down the make it your self avenue, have aword with these peaple Veodki ltd unit 5 ebleytrading estate, ebly stroud phone number01453 766137 you provide the the base and metal work, they will do the rest. Roger and I have used many times now and have been pleased with their work and priceing ,allso their quick turn round time, allways less than a week.
cheers norm.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thanks Stumpy. I went in there years ago for a look around and to see if they were interested in making a few seat foams. They weren't - the curvy nature of the Vincent Dual-Seat put them off. But I'll try again when I'm up that way - soon - and see if they've had a change of heart...

Peter B

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?