B/C Standard Dualseat

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member

I'm in the market for a new standard PR1 B/C dualseat for my concours '50Shadow. I was going to build one from scratch but, being retired, I don't have the time.

I'm looking for one that is dimensionally accurate, has all the right steelwork inside, has a quality wooden base that has been properly surface-sealed and won't rot in a couple of years, is comfortable to sit on, has the right cover stitching (and fixing to the base) and won't give my bank manager a heart attack.

I'd be grateful for comments/experiences from anyone who has purchased a seat in the last couple of years from one of our usual suppliers.

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dualseat

Hi Pete,

I am sure I am about to teach grandmother to suck eggs but here goes. What is an original seat? Over the years I have re-constructed several Ferridax seats. It seems that the earliest seats contained all the iron works that are shown in KTB and used the Dunlopillo cushion with more ‘sway’ in the shape representing more closely two single saddles. The earliest cover that I had was made up of 12 pieces – 1 at the front, 1 at the back, 3 for each side and 4 for the top. This was the most tailored of the covers. Later covers had the sides made in one piece and the top reduced to 3 and later even to 2. Mr. G. Bailey who advertises in MPH can supply covers that most closely resemble the early covers but they are tailored to fit the original Dunlopillo and not the current composite foam, which is a different shape. The modern foam does not easily accommodate the original iron work, especially the rear hoop. The rear hoop is made of 5/8” od tube with flats at each end set so that it sits at approximately 45 degrees. The original Dunlopillo had a recess to accommodate this hoop. It seems that Mr Ferriday dropped this rear hoop eventually as it produced a very hard end to the pillion as my missus can testify. To get an original Dunlopillo cushion seems to be impossible. Unfortunately as they age they form a scaly crust on the surface, which breaks down into a fine reddy-brown powder which mysteriously appears and coats the rear mudguard. It also seems to be the case that the under-the-seat bracketry differs one from another and that one seat will not necessarily fit another machine especially across the friction stays. Another case of selected assembly perhaps?

bmetcalf

VOC Member
It also seems to be the case that the under-the-seat bracketry differs one from another and that one seat will not necessarily fit another machine especially across the friction stays. Another case of selected assembly perhaps?

And I suppose they put the faster ones on Shadows? ;)

Rapide Rider

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
When I stripped my seat down it had the original Dunlopillo foam in almost perfect condition. It will certainly be reused when the seat is rebuilt , well not really rebuilt as I will need to use all new parts , the foam is the only reusable part !!
I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that a new mould was being commissioned to make new Dunlopillo foams ?

Alan J

VOC Member
Best to make your own base-foam is more of a problem-I bought one it was rubbish-I put the old one back with a thin foam on top. I think if you carry a pillion regularly the seat is too short {we are mostly larger than in 1947} I believe actually there is a longer one on the market? :confused::confused:

nkt267

VOC Member
This is most likely not the ideal thread for this but the longer saddle is GREAT.
I no longer have to ride the bike sat on the petrol cap.The old b*m is not as numb after a few miles.the only draw back is that MY back is not kept as warm as it was..
Can be supplied by Voc or R K Leightons of Birmingham who I believe made D seats for the factory..john

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Seat frames

If it helps anyone, I can supply a full size drawing of all of the metal work found in the earlier seats. I would need a large sae for you to receive the drawings. I also can supply longer seat curves in fibreglassif you wish to make a suitably altered seat frame.
Thenkyou. deliberate spelling mistake, ET43

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you are prepared to consider a longer seat then Glyn and Marianne Baxter were very impressed with their new purchase of one of these from the Club Shop. They told me that not only was there much more space but that it was a much softer foam and was the most comfortable seat they had used.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Dunlopillo

When I stripped my seat down it had the original Dunlopillo foam in almost perfect condition. It will certainly be reused when the seat is rebuilt , well not really rebuilt as I will need to use all new parts , the foam is the only reusable part !!
I'm sure I recall reading somewhere that a new mould was being commissioned to make new Dunlopillo foams ?

If you intend to store the Dunlopillo foam for any time keep it out of sunlight and keep it covered in a cool place. It would appear that heat and light are the cause of the deteriorating crust forming.
For many years I played with Traditional Broads Sailing Cruisers and owned an ex-hire sloop. These usually had Dunlopillo mattresses for the berths. They frequently suffered the dreaded skin disease because of inadequate off season storage.