H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Avon or Dunlop 19 Inch

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I ride the Commando really hard.With Battlax no problem.No sawteeth on the sides.

Attachments

• 025.MOV
    3.6 MB
  • 024.MOV
    3.7 MB

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I managed to scrub the centre tread out of my rear Avon Roadrider Mk2 in about one year of being fitted, so in riding months, say no more than 8, I don't bother to actually keep a record of miles travelled, but I doubt it would have been more than 2k as I also use my Comet from time to time, is 2k miles acceptable, seems a bit lean to me, I am invariably 2up, and carry stuff in panniers, just wonder if I over inflate, but with carrying weight I like a bit of pressure in the tyre, normally around 34psi.

Phil Hogg

Forum User
VOC Member
What what it's worth my observations, with my twin I am lucky to get 2000 miles out of a rear Avon road rider, switched to the Bridgestone Bt45's now Bt 46 Battle axes 3900 out of the rear last time. I believe the Bridgestone is dual compound and that probably explains the difference. In use when new I don't feel any appreciable difference, the wear as it develops seems to be more even with the Bridgestone and they don't go off the same as the road rider when well worn. From an aesthetic point of view the Bridgestone I think has a fuller more classic look to my mind. For me Bridgestone every time now except right now as I had a pair of Avon's to use up. Incidentally this is of no help if you don't have an 18" rear rim as there is no 19" rear.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks Phil, and yes, you are correct, 19inch rear, I really should change it, but I am currently running a 21inch front rim, which I really like (but my short legs don't) I guess I need to change things drastically.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Avon roadriders same set up 19 inch rear 20 front touring mode selected.
Great grip transformed handling knee down on the roundabout at Corrs abet the pillions knee. Don't care about wear rate, sticky is good I use battleaxes on heavy touring bikes dual compound big miles but can be a little twitchy they are hard on the middle soft on the sides just like me.

Bernhard_Austria

Forum User
VOC Member
Where can we find some tests, ?
I have always used Avon roadsides.....
But they wear really strange. View attachment 52309
Hi Vincent,
There was a test of classic motorcycle tires.
The Michelin was available in the right 18“ and front 19“ size. I‘m happy with it and it ensures a safe ride on dry and rainy alpine roads and highways. (Currently fitted on my Comet and on my Black shadow.)
See you in Wagrain in September ;-)

erik

VOC Member
The Motorrad Reifentest is very informative! But there is the new generation of the Bridgestone Batlax at the tire dealers.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
after reading, decided for Arrow maxx 120/90-18 for godet (put a new rim on......)
Thnx U all!!!

now how do I upload this .PDF file!!!! grrr

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use Avon Roadriders, 90/90 front 100/90 rear 19s, on the Vincent and Norton.
As an aside:
On my Rapide, I have installed twin discs on the front wheel. I had a new rim fitted and thought it would have an Avon 100/90 x 19 tyre, thinking that this would be better for braking. I had a 90/90 tyre fitted previously.
An unexpected bonus was that my chronometric now corresponds very accurately compared to the speed reading on my Garmin Satnav.:)