1953 correct numbers and nice black shadow £36000
1953 correct numbers and near mint restoration Black Shadow £55000
1947 correct numbers and nice, B Rapide £45000
Norvin project £21000
all + 15%

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hopefully all the greedy dealers asking stupid money for Shadows, Black or White, will catch a serious cold, maybe even Covid! you only need to take a look at ebay to see how ridiculous asking prices have become, depriving all but the seriously wealthy from ever owning one. Perhaps some common sense is coming back into the market.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Perhaps some common sense is coming back into the market.
I'm not sure common sense has much to do with whether a Vincent should sell for £50k or for £100k, or whether a Shadow is "worth" a large factor more than a Rapide. If anything, common sense would seem to say that, instead of any Vincent, all of us should be riding reliable Hondas, with electric starters and fuel injection… no, wait, anyone with common sense would be driving a car with air conditioning, because a car is safer and more comfortable than any motorcycle. Using "common sense" in the same sentence as prices for any 70-year-old motorcycle, um, makes no sense.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I'm not sure common sense has much to do with whether a Vincent should sell for £50k or for £100k, or whether a Shadow is "worth" a large factor more than a Rapide. If anything, common sense would seem to say that, instead of any Vincent, all of us should be riding reliable Hondas, with electric starters and fuel injection… no, wait, anyone with common sense would be driving a car with air conditioning, because a car is safer and more comfortable than any motorcycle. Using "common sense" in the same sentence as prices for any 70-year-old motorcycle, um, makes no sense.
If you apply only logic you are obviously correct, I always think that when I see a car that I would have lusted over in my youth, and still do when I see one on the road, take for example an Aston Martin BD5, the iconic James Bond car, but you would in all probability find a modern sporty Ford Fiesta more than an equal to a DB5 in most, if not all respects. I have often questioned my own sanity when trying make my 49 Rapide more modern (at great expense I might add)
Surely in the long run, it would be far more sensible to purchase a modern bike with all the features included, and at a very reasonable purchase price, than buying a Vincent at huge expense (not that I have ever done that) and then set about improving every aspect of the bike. I don't understand it, but I sure enjoy owning and riding my Vincents.

vibrac

VOC Member
The trick is to keep the vincent and buy a secondhand modern bike look at LOT 267 for instance what a gift!

Suzuki TL1000S I had a track day a few years ago such a fast safe bike unfortunately it was on before my selling lot

LoneStar

VOC Member
The trick is to keep the vincent and buy a secondhand modern bike
Indeed. Different bikes for different needs / conditions. In addition to the Vincent and some other vintage machines, I have a "modern" 2001 Hayabusa - not secondhand, but inexpensive now. And it's eligible for budget insurance, as Hagerty considers it one of those sedate "classic" bikes, being 20+ years old.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I was at the auction last week and was amazed, there was some bargains to be had.
Race/competition bikes went for some very low prices, a big private collection from Scotland did not make forecasted prices but all sold.
Inflation on the up cost of living up interest in investor cycles down I predict.
Bikes for riding and smile value are down in price good time to buy to ride.

The Vincents all sold, the 36k Shadow was a fair enough price, I felt the Shadow at 55 was way overpriced.

Lots of dealers present as you would expect, spoke to a friend from Ireland who bought ten bikes, veteran,racing,off road, japanese good mix of fine bikes for the grand total of 12k now that is value.

Next sale has some interesting machines coming up time to cash in your war bonds and convert some more cash into noise.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.