answer to Vbert

b'knighted

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Red Knight.jpg

I had never expected this to be an original colour. Is it Terry Prince?

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
DSC01455 (2).jpgYes Ian, that bike is now the one he takes to Bonneville, slightly modified, and the bike is still red. Should you want I can phone him to find out if red was the original colour.

Chris

davidd

VOC Member
Terry's bike was black. He had it with him in Switzerland when he worked for Fritz Egli. No harm asking him.

I would be surprised if there were any factory built enclosed models that were painted red. A story does come to mind. I became friendly with Pip Harper, who made the enclosures in his shop many decades ago. Pip purchased an extra tub from Ted Davis so he could cut it apart and use it as a fixture for making the tub frames. He showed me the top of the tub that he had sawn off. It was very shop worn, but you could see that it was a Victor transfer. He did not realize what he had done until months after he had done it. He was in the process of building a copy of the Victor and he could have had the original tub!

David

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
Terry Prince (Portrait) 1872 A.jpgThanks David, Terry isn't answering the phone at this time, will let you know.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
I am sure I have seen photos of a red Prince or Knight. I assumed it was done post production. I think it was or is in the USA.
There was also that superb B Rapide engine fitted with red D (naked) cycle parts.
I believe Phillip Vincent had a penchant for red. Wasn't his personal Bristol car red? I can well believe he might have experimented with a red finish for the Victor.
Apart from the completely red B & C Rapides there were some supplied with red tanks and mudguards or just red tanks. There were even blue ones. There were red Comets with white saddles or is all this myth? My first Comet was supplied with a red tank. Perhaps that explains my weakness for red.

Hugo,

I do not know about Phil Vincent's penchant for red. His car was white when I knew him. However, you are correct that there were two-tone Vincents. You could order the bike in red, or you could order it in red/black. In the U.S., where touring fenders were popular, the tank and fenders were red and the rest of the bike was black. If you examine this photo of the Sales Showroom at the Indian Sales Co. you will notice that there are two touring Rapides on the left and one is a red/black bike. This photo was most likely taken in 1952.

negcycleshowroom5.jpg

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Gene Aucott had a story about having a "room-full" of Touring fenders that he took off per customer request and wished that he had them then to sell to restorers. Enough survived on bikes, though, so there was popularity.

Hugo,

I do not know about Phil Vincent's penchant for red. His car was white when I knew him. However, you are correct that there were two-tone Vincents. You could order the bike in red, or you could order it in red/black. In the U.S., where touring fenders were popular, the tank and fenders were red and the rest of the bike was black. If you examine this photo of the Sales Showroom at the Indian Sales Co. you will notice that there are two touring Rapides on the left and one is a red/black bike. This photo was most likely taken in 1952.

David

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I believe that Phil Vincent wanted his Bristol painted red, so he got the paint shop to do it. But as he ordered too much paint, and couldn't bear to throw it away, he proposed that some Vincents were painted red to use up the surplus ??