Misc: Carburettors Amal TT Carburettors

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know how much material you can remove off the bottom of the TT slide so as to reduce the size of the cutaway. e.g., can a 7 be turned into a 6 ? The clearance between the underside of the slide and the jet block seems to be the main limiting factor. It looks like going down one size would be the limit unless a bit of material was removed from the top of the jet block or the underside of the slide... or both. Anyone tried it?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Just watch the clearance for the small cable nipples as well. I had one that was hanging the slide up because of the cable end, cant remember exactly but it was stopping the slide from coming down as far as the other carb, not so much of an issue on a single.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Just watch the clearance for the small cable nipples as well. I had one that was hanging the slide up because of the cable end, cant remember exactly but it was stopping the slide from coming down as far as the other carb, not so much of an issue on a single.

Thanks. I can see that being one of those simple things that can cause some head scratching.

Cyborg

VOC Member
A piece of plasticine placed on the top of the jet block will tell how much clearance you have to play with.

Thanks. That's how I measured it. Of course it stuck to the underside of the slide instead of the top of the jet block.

When Greg mentioned the cable nipple fouling the top of the jet block, I had another look and there isn't any meat to spare at the top of the slide, so it looks like reducing it by 1/2 a size would be the limit.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Does anyone know how much material you can remove off the bottom of the TT slide so as to reduce the size of the cutaway. e.g., can a 7 be turned into a 6 ? The clearance between the underside of the slide and the jet block seems to be the main limiting factor. It looks like going down one size would be the limit unless a bit of material was removed from the top of the jet block or the underside of the slide... or both. Anyone tried it?
Might be an idea to try running it as 7 , I have had to weaken off my Dellortos and Concentrics . And before I sold my TT's they were running too rich and fouling the plugs, Which I found out later was NGK plugs fault, If I could have got some Champion N5c's, They would have been OK, I wish I had not sold them !!. With the strange things they are doing with the petrol, They might be OK. Cheers Bill.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
15TT 10TT
Scan_20170526.jpg
Scan_20170526 (2).gif
Scan_20170526 (3).gif
Scan_20170526 (5).jpg

kettlrj

VOC Member
I ran my Shadow racer with 32mm TT's with no air slides fitted and after flooding the carbs it would normaly start easily with the kickstarter. I use 1 3/16" TT's on my Rapide road bike that is fitted with air slides. I close the slides for starting, which is usually easy. I generally ride off with the slides closed and if it is cool morning and I open the slides too soon, the carbs will spit back, so they do have an influence at low throttle openings.

TRexler

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Been doing a bit of reading on Amal TT carbs with regards to the air valve. I found some info written by Amal that states the air valve can be used (amongst other things like tuning) to richen the mixture for starting. My question is... does it really do much of anything at small throttle openings and at kickstarting speeds. Several folks have told me it's pretty much pointless for cold starts and doesn't really do much unless there is a larger throttle opening and the engine is turning slightly faster than kickstarting speed.
Hi,
This may be a long shot but, I'm doing my university dissertation on AMAL TT carburettors and am looking for literature on the subject, especially the air valve. Do you know what book it was that you were reading about this in?
Any leads or information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Cam