Misc: Carburettors Amal 289N/2DS in bronze

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
my front carb is bronze and my rear one is white metal of some description.

This seems the most common pattern. But we seem to have established that some rear 289N/2DS carbs were made in bronze, a fact not generally known until now. Needs to go into the next edition of KTB...

Peder

Forum User
VOC Member
This seems the most common pattern. But we seem to have established that some rear 289N/2DS carbs were made in bronze, a fact not generally known until now. Needs to go into the next edition of KTB...
Thanks to all comments. And yes, it is indeed a rear carb, sitting on my rear cylinder and looks quite nice :)
Thanks, Peder

BrianR

Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, I know of another bike with a bronze rear carb.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I have a set of bronze front and rear Black Shadow carburetors so I know for certain that they exist. 229E/1DV front and 289N/2DS rear.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I love the bronze!!
Because the bronze carburetors are so uncommon, very few people are aware that they were specially made for the ultra-rare Vincent Bronze Shadow. Unfortunately, it was discovered during testing that the additional weight of the bronze limited the top speed of these machines so they were equipped with 145 mph speedometers.

VincentBronzeShadow.jpg

If one of these speedometers appears on eBay, typically the seller won't know what it is from. But, now you do...

I should add that the Vincent Bronze Shadow was introduced in 1955 to commemorate the 8th wedding anniversary of Queen Elizabeth, to try to exploit the occasion in order to increase sales. However, despite incorrect reasons you may have read in various books, it actually was the development cost of the Bronze Shadow that drove the company into bankruptcy that year.

Although the machine was based on the Series C, Phil Vincent felt the bronze carburetors constituted such a huge improvement that he officially termed it the Series C++ (two '+' because, obviously, there were two carburetors). As evidence of the fame of the super-rare Vincent Bronze Shadow in a small circle of cognoscenti, over two decades later the developers of a computer programming language used the C++ name for a compiler to indicate it was that was vastly improved over the Series C compiler.

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
During the Second World War PCV worked closely with Bletchley Park and developed the hybrid Com-pewter while PEI was busy with "Turing for Speed."