Misc: Carburettors Amal 289N/2DS in bronze

Peder

Forum User
VOC Member
I have this 289N/2DS rear carb but in bronze. Does anybody know if a number was supplied in bronze or was this carb used by other brands to?

Thanks,
Peder

Attachments

• P1040622 (2).JPG
    P1040622 (2).JPG
    391.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1040623 (2).JPG
    P1040623 (2).JPG
    275.4 KB · Views: 23

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Interesting; clearly sand-cast bronze. KTB says only the rear 229 carbs were made in bronze, likely due to low production not justifying the expense of a die-cast mold. The Amal "Carburetter Settings and Spare Parts List 1940 to 1954" lists the 289N/2DS only for the Vincent Black Shadow.

Maybe you have an early example, made before the die-cast process was ready?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Interesting; clearly sand-cast bronze. KTB says only the rear 229 carbs were made in bronze, likely due to low production not justifying the expense of a die-cast mold. The Amal "Carburetter Settings and Spare Parts List 1940 to 1954" lists the 289N/2DS only for the Vincent Black Shadow.

Maybe you have an early example, made before the die-cast process was ready?
I am not sure what KTB you have, but the edition I have clearly states that the Shadow 11/8 front carb and the Comet 1/18 carb are both brass bodied, the rear 11/8 carb is Mazak, every Vincent I have owned with 11/8 carbs has been that way.

LoneStar

VOC Member
Yes, I mistyped that - the 229 is front, not rear, and sand-cast brass. My rear 289 is also zinc alloy.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I have this 289N/2DS rear carb but in bronze. Does anybody know if a number was supplied in bronze or was this carb used by other brands to?

Thanks,
Peder
from the picture it looks like a rear one, or was your camera doing mirror images?

sorry edited front to rear, now I am confused...

Last edited:

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I just looked in Richardson's book and it lists 289N/2DS as a rear carb on the Black Shadow. This is on page 193, table VI. The same table also lists 229E/1DV as Black Shadow front carb. Looking at my carbs These are the numbers on my carbs and my front carb is bronze and my rear one is white metal of some description.