Am I normal?-one of mine sticks out further than the other.....

vince998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Searching for the cure of an elusive rattle eminating from the clutch at tickover, i noticed also that i had play between the pins and plungers when rotating the whole plot (the more the main shoes wear, the bigger the play)
I went to the trouble of turning up C16 spacers for the pins from hex bar, bored eccentric, allowing you to turn the spacers untill all play was taken up between the plunger and spacer/pin (hex bar because i want the pins to hold the spacer position).
It made no difference to clutch action and the bloody rattle is still their (primary plate is the new type with bonded linings and its rattling in the drum!!)
To be honest, even when the Vintent clutch is worn (linings down, bushes worn, plungers wiggling etc) as long as it´s properly adjusted, it´s still as good as the clutch on my yamahaha.

Plunger pins are definately different lengths (different plunger angles?). When i overhaul clutch shoes, if their is any play in the plunger bores, i rebush them after re-lining. Plunger lengths are then set to touch the pins with new linings (if plunger stroke allows, by turning up new plungers, or by milling the bush face in the ole (after fitting the bush).