Am I normal?-one of mine sticks out further than the other.....

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Assembling the shoe assembly onto the clutch today (first timer here), I noticed that the C13 centre could be turned easily (rattled) back and forth (clockwise/anticlockwise)on the centre nut with no resistance at all, until one or the other of the shoe plungers hits its c14 pin.I was under the impression that each plunger should be lightly abutting against its relative C14, with little or no play, but no compression of the springs at standstill .I can turn the C13 one way until a plunger contacts its pin, and then just about get a 2mm drill between the other plunger and pin.
I know that the plungers are set at different spring tensions,but should they stick out of the shoes by differing lengths also?-mine protrude approx 11mm and 8mm from the shoes,see photo-is this normal or is one stuck in? I had them proffessionally renewed and set on a jig...... Bob. vin assembly 060.jpg

timetraveller

VOC Member
There should definitely be some play, and a 'rattle' just about describes it. I don't have one apart at the moment to measure the amount so perhaps someone else can give you a measurement.

greg brillus

VOC Member
With the assembly installed and the mainshaft nut nipped up, there should be minimal or even no play from the plunger face to the pins. Remember that the plungers do alot of work, hence the need to replace the broken springs within periodically. First off you need to check the alignment of the shoes in relation to the surface of the drum, that is when you pivot the shoes the leading and trailing linings need to be equal distance from the drums running surface. To remedy the plunger which shows the excess clearance to the pin, you need to remove the C 12 threaded grub screw and remove the plunger and springs. Then carefully machine down the step at the base of the hole which acts as the outer stop for the said plunger.....I use a 3/8 drill bit and a drill press... do it very carefully so as not to remove too much material, then reset your C 12 screw and adjust the preload on the springs as per Richardsons book, reassemble and you should be ok. Sometimes this may take a couple of goes to sneak up on it.....but it's worth it.... on the original steel plungers you could add a blob of weld on the end and linnish to length, but the new ones are stainless making this a little harder........Greg.

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Have measured 4 set of shoes, the rough average is C7 .446, C7-1 .360, so it looks as though the plungers do stick out different lengths from the shoes. Regards John.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Indeed the plungers do seem to be often sticking out a different amount between shoes but if they feel firm but free and compression able they should do the job . But must be able to contact their pin to do that , ie retract the shoe when the clutch is lifted .
If too short this must be corrected for proper function . Sid .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john998

VOC Member
Hello, Have studied the drawing of the plungers but still confused. They appear to be measured from opposite directions and from an ill defined point ie the pivot centre but with no other reference.
Can someone cast light on this or am I being slow again. John.

1660bob

VOC Member
No I`m with you John.??????
The drawing shows both plungers in contact with the pins. Is this a "must"?,-I have 2mm of clear air here in total, allowing the C13 centre to rotate several degrees back and forth on the clutch nut before either plunger touches its C14 pin.
You kindly measured some of yours for me, and got .360 (9.14mm) for the C7-1 plunger. Mine protrudes only approx 8mm(.315) which may explain (most of) my 2mm gap.My C7 plunger protrudes more or less as yours at 11mm (.436) These measurements from the alloy casting can only ever be approximate I suppose as castings are bound to differ a little.
As I see it, if there is free air between the plungers and pins at rest, it allows the shoes to float around a bit between drive and overrun,and, er,hopefully not drag.... i think..... but i wonder if such a gap would allow clutch grab?Bob.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bob, I think they should be just touching, If you have too much slack the shoes will drag on the drum, Giving you clutch drag, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bob, If you don't want to mess with the shoe, I found a spare spacer, C16, and put it so it took up the slack next to the plunger, I think they say you need 20 to 25 thou' between the shoes and the drum, Good Luck, Bill.