• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Alton and Boyer PowerBox

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
VOC Member
Does anyone ever tried an Alton and Boyer PowerBox positive earth system. Ignition is D distributor. Any reasons for this not working properly in theory?
Thanks.
Eric

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Hi Eric,
I have used this set up several times, but with the addition of Boyer electronic ignition.I had this system on my 500cc Norvin and it worked perfect. I always use the power box on the Cafe Racers I build and use 2X 6v 1.3 amp hr batteries wired in series to give 12volts and have never had a problem.

Regards GARRY

ericg

VOC Member
Thanks Gary,
I'm only doing the first miles on my Norvin Rap after I finished it about one month ago and the charging system as described seems to be barely adequate at slow revs. I've done a 30 miles trip in the rain and fog with the light on at ridiculously slow speed because of the fog and was rewarded by a flat battery. I'v heard many times that Altons doesn't work at slow revs.
By the way, I use a Shorai battery. If you don't know them I recommend you check their website. They are really amazing.
Regards.
Eric

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ericg, I think there is a way of making the Alton charge better at low speed,It is only something i have read, I think it's called V/reg but I might be wrong, It is some kind of regulator, They are also sold for Triumph. Try searching this forum under Alton, I am sure some of the lads in the USA use them. Good Luck Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hello Ericg, I think there is a way of making the Alton charge better at low speed,It is only something i have read, I think it's called V/reg but I might be wrong, It is some kind of regulator, They are also sold for Triumph. Try searching this forum under Alton, I am sure some of the lads in the USA use them. Good Luck Bill.

Paul Goff sells the V Reg, I have no idea whether it is suitable for the Alton.

nobby

VOC Member
Hi Eric,
I have used this set up several times, but with the addition of Boyer electronic ignition.I had this system on my 500cc Norvin and it worked perfect. I always use the power box on the Cafe Racers I build and use 2X 6v 1.3 amp hr batteries wired in series to give 12volts and have never had a problem.

Regards GARRY

I use this Boyer setup with powerbox on the 500 Comet with 12V battery, had once a burned-out box on the way to IoM, had some difficulties to obtain a replacement for it, but at the end it worked again. And very good...

Howard

VOC Member
Paul Goff sells the V Reg, I have no idea whether it is suitable for the Alton.

I’ve used the V-Reg, it’s a solid state regulator for a dynamo, with options for 6 volt or 12 volt. I used it with a Lucas E3L dynamo, works well but the engine has to be revved to balance coil ignition and decent sized headlight bulb. Hence my conversion back to alternator. I don’t think it’s suitable for alternators but you’ll find it at the link below.

H

http://www.aoservices.co.uk/index.htm#contact

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I might have got the name wrong, But my brother Ron had an Alton on his Twin, He had lots of lights etc and was worried about riding slow, When i saw the bit about the Mod 'I remember thinking it would work for him, But then he sold it. Cheers Bill.

Warning! This thread is more than 11yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.