Alton and Boyer PowerBox

ericg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone ever tried an Alton and Boyer PowerBox positive earth system. Ignition is D distributor. Any reasons for this not working properly in theory?
Thanks.
Eric

manxnortonman

VOC Member
Hi Eric,
I have used this set up several times, but with the addition of Boyer electronic ignition.I had this system on my 500cc Norvin and it worked perfect. I always use the power box on the Cafe Racers I build and use 2X 6v 1.3 amp hr batteries wired in series to give 12volts and have never had a problem.

Regards GARRY

ericg

VOC Member
Thanks Gary,
I'm only doing the first miles on my Norvin Rap after I finished it about one month ago and the charging system as described seems to be barely adequate at slow revs. I've done a 30 miles trip in the rain and fog with the light on at ridiculously slow speed because of the fog and was rewarded by a flat battery. I'v heard many times that Altons doesn't work at slow revs.
By the way, I use a Shorai battery. If you don't know them I recommend you check their website. They are really amazing.
Regards.
Eric

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Ericg, I think there is a way of making the Alton charge better at low speed,It is only something i have read, I think it's called V/reg but I might be wrong, It is some kind of regulator, They are also sold for Triumph. Try searching this forum under Alton, I am sure some of the lads in the USA use them. Good Luck Bill.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hello Ericg, I think there is a way of making the Alton charge better at low speed,It is only something i have read, I think it's called V/reg but I might be wrong, It is some kind of regulator, They are also sold for Triumph. Try searching this forum under Alton, I am sure some of the lads in the USA use them. Good Luck Bill.

Paul Goff sells the V Reg, I have no idea whether it is suitable for the Alton.

nobby

VOC Member
Hi Eric,
I have used this set up several times, but with the addition of Boyer electronic ignition.I had this system on my 500cc Norvin and it worked perfect. I always use the power box on the Cafe Racers I build and use 2X 6v 1.3 amp hr batteries wired in series to give 12volts and have never had a problem.

Regards GARRY

I use this Boyer setup with powerbox on the 500 Comet with 12V battery, had once a burned-out box on the way to IoM, had some difficulties to obtain a replacement for it, but at the end it worked again. And very good...

Howard

VOC Member
Paul Goff sells the V Reg, I have no idea whether it is suitable for the Alton.

I’ve used the V-Reg, it’s a solid state regulator for a dynamo, with options for 6 volt or 12 volt. I used it with a Lucas E3L dynamo, works well but the engine has to be revved to balance coil ignition and decent sized headlight bulb. Hence my conversion back to alternator. I don’t think it’s suitable for alternators but you’ll find it at the link below.

H

http://www.aoservices.co.uk/index.htm#contact

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I might have got the name wrong, But my brother Ron had an Alton on his Twin, He had lots of lights etc and was worried about riding slow, When i saw the bit about the Mod 'I remember thinking it would work for him, But then he sold it. Cheers Bill.