H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Alloy brake plate dimensions Help….

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dan gave me a copy of those drawings and I noticed the pivots. Unfortunately I couldn’t get past the fact that I had NOS pins a felt obligated to use them. They were in some stuff my brother gave me. I finally decided to try and figure out what they were for because they were in with some interesting bits. Took a while, but finally stumbled across drawing MO46. I think that’s how I ended up spiralling down this rabbit hole in the first place.

vibrac

VOC Member
On sprockets we needed to get smaller than standard to suit the gearing and opted for 5/8X1/4 motocross sprockets held wiith countersnk screws
1642061838258.png

Cyborg

VOC Member
I’ve finished machining the rear plate and now working on the fronts. I’m using an axle with no threads and obviously the brake plates have to sit proud of the axle so they are squeezed between the fork blades which holds the taper rollers and seals in place.

So the question is… how far past the end of the axle should the outer edge of the brake plates be?

I’m assuming not much, because the axle is the same length as the stock one and the whole mess still has to fit between the fork blades. I don’t know if there is normally a little bit of extra width between the blades and my forks are still in pieces, so don’t have an accurate measurement of the width. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Ken, I think just proud ?, But it depends on the fork bushes,
If they are a bit too thick, The fork blades will be wider apart,
Might be worth checking the blades are dead true to each other ?,
If the blades are too wide apart, It might stiffen up the movement,
But a small bit won't hurt ?,
And you could always put a few shims between the bearing and plate,
But the same both sides.
Cheers Bill.

Cyborg

VOC Member
Ive just measure two, with a ruler as I do not have a vernier which goes over 6", and I make them both 6.13"
I just stuck the two blades together with the top spindle sitting where it should be and lined up the FF32 plate. I come up with 6.18, but would change a bit when properly assembled. The hollow axle I purchased (with no threads) is approximately 5.97” wide. So… the plates would have to hang over the ends of the hollow axle by 0.105 on each side.

Cyborg

VOC Member
I measured the overhang and it’s .1115 on one side and . 115 on the other. Good thing I just lightly skimmed the casting in that area to true it up. So with shims installed behind the cones, it’ll only need another light skim.

Where did the term Nilos seals come from? Wouldn’t grease cups be a better description?

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Delboy
I had never used them before, but decided to order them this time. I expected Nilos to be the name of the plastic/rubber like material used to actually seal the bearings. What was I thinking? My Honda upbringing has given me a warped prospective.
They actually fit quite well and as long as I don’t get carried away with the grease, all will be well.