Misc: Everything Else A plain old 1949 Rapide!

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ok here we go. I have just acquired a 1949 B Rapide. It came apart sometime before the previous owner bought it in 1956. Since then it has had parts bought, The crank rebuilt and I'm sure many hundreds of hours being studied and thought about, but what it has not had is one item bolted back together. The Previous owner, now 92 has recently had a stroke and is in a care facility and his children have kindly sold it to me, with the hope that, perhaps, in the future their Father may see it as he imagined it lo these many years. I have told them it will be put together properly and that may conflict with Father time regarding a future viewing and they have accepted that.

So from time to time I will post up interesting things here, well to some perhaps, but here is a teaser to start

On the 20th April 1960 purchased from Conways were a pair of 10TT9 32mm carbs PR5/3 and PR6/3 and a pair of adaptors for above. I know what they were worth then, what are they worth today. Oh yes, never had a wrench laid to them, wrapped in cloth as clean and new as they were in 1960!

Last edited by a moderator:

Albervin

VOC Member
Ok here we go. I have just acquired a 1949 B Rapide. It cam apart sometime before the previous owner bought it in 1956. Since then it has had parts bought, The crank rebuilt and I'm sure many hundreds of hours being studied and thought about, but what is has not had is one item bolted back together. The Previous owner, now 92 has recently had a stroke and is in a care facility and his children have kindly sole it to me, with the hope that, perhaps, in the future their Father may see it has he imagined it lo these many years. I have told them it will be put together properly and that may conflict with Father time regarding a future viewing and they have accepted that.

So from time to time I will post up interesting things here, well to some perhaps, but here is a teaser to start

On the 20th April 1960 purchased from Conways were a pair of 10TT9 32mm carbs PR5/3 and PR6/3 and a pair of adaptors for above. I know what they were worth then, What are they worth today. Oh yes, never had a wrench laid to them, wrapped in cloth as clean and new as they were in 1960!
A chap here is fishing for $4,000 for a pair of less than pristine carbs. I don't think he has a chance but for what you have I think that would be a fair starting point.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
On the 20th April 1960 purchased from Conways were a pair of 10TT9 32mm carbs PR5/3 and PR6/3 and a pair of adaptors for above. I know what they were worth then, what are they worth today. Oh yes, never had a wrench laid to them, wrapped in cloth as clean and new as they were in 1960!
Nice, lucky dog. Someone else from up in your neck of the woods was fortunate to find a pair of NOS 32mm carbs and adapters. I think you know who.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill, I will offer you £200 for your spare pair of 289s plus float bowls and a set of jets from 180-260. Can't be fairer than that eh? :cool:
Sorry, don't have any.
Got bit's of a Comet one, But I might go back to standard one day !!, Fat Chance :)
Cheers Bill.