a better way to wire the headlights

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Got a bit technical, this "thread!" I was told a hundred years or so ago that most old Brit. bikes have only 5 wires! Having a sidecar and indicators etc. I have a few more! I also run a Lucas 12 volt car dynamo. I have one main fuse .On my Morini the wiring looks like spaghetti junction [english joke to do with Birmingham motorway] and innumerable fuses! My original headlamp master switch never gives me any trouble [pattern parts, just don't mention them], but on the handlebars I have fitted a black Modern switch from some Japanese make that has everything you could want instead of old type separate Brit switches. Nothing complicated, no relays or "black boxes" to go wrong! I'm lucky, because if I have an electrical problem I can't solve, I pop round to J. Bickerstaff for friendly advice!!

D

Deleted member 1085

Interesting to hear of any experiences with using HID set up? Appears to offer better headlight for far less power consumption.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I fitted HID to a Suzuki Vstrom. Light output was NOT significantly improved - apparently you require a purpose designed reflector. Also - the plastic reflector was quickly damaged and dulled from the much higher heat output from the HID "globe". All in all , not a good move. A modern halogen globe in a aged Miller assembly is a much better option for our steeds. Martyn

D

Deleted member 1085

The Wipac "Quadoptic Halogen Conversion Headlamp Kit" may offer a suitable alternative. Evidently, it is fitted to classic Minis with HID units and works well. Looks to be a good option as it uses less power and gives better illumination. Any experience of Wipac Quadoptic? Keith

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have considered the HID conversion for my Vstrom, but decided instead to install a wiring harness utilising relays to get a brighter headlight..and thereby kill 2 birds with one solution.

I put an LED tail light in my Vincent - not only is it brighter, but it uses less of the precious electricity available..I think my sealed beam headlight might be a tad brighter as a result.