530 Drive Chain Problem

riptragle1953

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the info. I wasn't kidding above about letting the chain machine it's own clearance as the interference with the case is minimal. At times we'd get the rear wheel off the ground.... fit the "tight" chain well lubricated and do the job by rotating the rear wheel by hand.

Rob H

VOC Member
Thanks for the info. I wasn't kidding above about letting the chain machine it's own clearance as the interference with the case is minimal. At times we'd get the rear wheel off the ground.... fit the "tight" chain well lubricated and do the job by rotating the rear wheel by hand.

Not possible to do this it jams quite tightly, maybe grinding away some of the casing may be the answer

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
That IS tight! Forgive me if I sound off the wall but I can not form a picture in my mind of the assembly anymore...
so I forget how the sprocket fits and I just wondered if the sprocket was too cole to the case for some reason?

Rob H

VOC Member
I was wondering if it was possible to fit a washer or spacer behind the sproket to increase the clearance.

van drenth

VOC Member
The problem is that the sprocket runs in a seal so that will be most possible to start to leak.
Regards, van Drenth JC

davidd

VOC Member
I was wondering if it was possible to fit a washer or spacer behind the sproket to increase the clearance.

You would also have to check your alignment. The rear sprocket would have to be shimmed out the same distance, or the necessary distance to keep the sprockets aligned.

David

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
It is possible that the end of the boss on the sprocket that bears against the bearing is worn , allowing the sprocket to move inboard thus putting the sprocket that much closer to the crank case.
stumpy lord

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Seal company catalogs by size

In the above mentioned case of the shimmed sprocket seal boss not addressing the seal: it may just be that a slightly
thicker seal is made with the same o.d and i.d dimensions. This way the seal would fit fully home in the seal bore
yet stand slightly proud of the case enough to contact the sprocket boss once more.
Again I am only taking a stab at this as I can't remember the actual set-up.
I used to have dimensional catalogs for seals, bearings, and such which came in very handy.
And if a found seal is too thick.... it's an easy job to thin it so it does run on the sprocket boss.
Again, I'm only taking a stab at this one.... I may be way off track as I can not see it.

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Stinkin' Cats

I mentioned I was in the process of trying to unstick old shop progress prints that were in a box a cat used for
a litter box. This one a can't unstick but it's of a similar situation.

Attachments

• Chain Clearance.jpg
    Chain Clearance.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 50