30mm mikuni carbs on vin twin

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
One Rapide here has a pair of Mikuni 32s on the Mikuni rubber sleeves and while they have not yet fallen completely off, it is a saggy, floppy affair.
The 41 mm Dellortos on the Dellorto sleeve are by comparison, very perky and firm. Even with the clamps off, it takes a lot of effort to remove the sleeve from stub or carb.
After the floppy Mikunis, the audible snap of the Dellorto sleeve locking into place is a very satisfying experience.
If Big Sid can get all sensual about Vincent Primary covers, then I have a right to get excited about carburettors.;)

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'll check to see if Dellorto has sleeves in a size that would work on the Mikunis. It is doubtful that the half round ridge on the id of the Dellorto sleeve is in the correct location for the Mikuni carb, but worth a look. The Dellorto sleeve is much thicker walled than the Mikuni version, no doubt that accounts for the solid attachment.
Glen

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Dellorto sleeve won't work for the Mikuni, every dimension that matters is different. Too bad.
I'm recalling now that when I first got the bike with the Mikuni carbs and sleeves, a carb did fall off while I was working on the bike. It only took a light bump with the hand to knock it off. I noticed that the clamps in use were wider than the portion of the sleeve overlaying the carb. I noticed that if tightened really thoroughly, the clamp popped the sleeve right off the carb. This was because a portion of the width of the clamp was clamping in space, there was no metal backing the sleeve.

I located some narrow clamps at a Japanese motorcycle scrapper and with those in place the carbs are much more solid, though not on par with the Dellorto setup. At least now the carbs can't be easily pulled off by hand with the clamps tight, as was possible with the wide clamps in place.
Glen

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
The Dellorto sleeve won't work for the Mikuni, every dimension that matters is different. Too bad.
I'm recalling now that when I first got the bike with the Mikuni carbs and sleeves, a carb did fall off while I was working on the bike. It only took a light bump with the hand to knock it off. I noticed that the clamps in use were wider than the portion of the sleeve overlaying the carb. I noticed that if tightened really thoroughly, the clamp popped the sleeve right off the carb. This was because a portion of the width of the clamp was clamping in space, there was no metal backing the sleeve.

I located some narrow clamps at a Japanese motorcycle scrapper and with those in place the carbs are much more solid, though not on par with the Dellorto setup. At least now the carbs can't be easily pulled off by hand with the clamps tight, as was possible with the wide clamps in place.
Glen

Glen what model dellorto's are you running?

vibrac

VOC Member
Do I get any Brownie points for the tip?:)
I think we are about even;)
I think the Mikuni sleeve is Ok so long as its free from oil but it really does not go far enough down the ET32/21 stub and the weight of the carb and the pancake air filter is too much and doing up the clip tightly just squeezes it off.
The pancake air filter supplied with carb is a pain as well (I must get a 'torpedo' one) I put a security wire on it in case it fell off and cut away the lower rib so that I could push it on further. (The fact that the carb mouth is a smooth annular ring does not help). But don't let these niggles put you off it is without doubt an improvement as far as performance goes

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Eugene

Those would be phm41s with accelerator pump and enrichener circuit.

Vibrac, what width is the jubilee clamp holding the carb on?

Glen

vibrac

VOC Member
the ones that came with the squishy standard rubber- just good quality stainless clips 9mm just under 3/8"

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
the ones that came with the squishy standard rubber- just good quality stainless clips 9mm just under 3/8"

Hi Vibrac,

I know that John M. here in Canada very cleverly machines a groove in the stub on the carb so that the clip has something to bite into. I have this mod on my Comet and it seems to keep the Carb rigid.

Eugene.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Hi Vibrac,

I know that John M. here in Canada very cleverly machines a groove in the stub on the carb so that the clip has something to bite into. I have this mod on my Comet and it seems to keep the Carb rigid.

Eugene.

My mistake. He machines a groove for the air filter stub on the carb. I was looking at friends bike and he has high quality pipe and jubilee clips. The carb is rock solid.