30mm mikuni carbs on vin twin

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
machined a grove for the air filter good idea - I tried to screw it off without any luck see above "(The fact that the carb mouth is a smooth annular ring does not help) I did think about mounting the whole carb on the lathe. but at the moment I have settled for a section of the filter neck cut away to pull it in a little closer -but I still have a wire on it in case it falls off

vibrac

VOC Member
I fitted the cooking Comets Mikuni with a length of water hose (some blue quality stuff Ben uses on the flying brick) and the carb stopped falling off!
Today I took a ride on a sunny and average spring day in UK after about 20 miles I opened it up and it misfired and faltered and as it was a slow traffic situation I continued on pilot and minimum throttle until I reached some straight road near to my destination wound her open again, and she did the same trick and then after 20 seconds just as I was about to give up, she cleared and ran smoothly up the revs I thought it was a rubbish blocked jet that had sucked through, but when I got to my destination the outside of the carb was running with....water. I cant believe I was getting ice in May, if I was that hose is some insulator.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I fitted the cooking Comets Mikuni with a length of water hose (some blue quality stuff Ben uses on the flying brick) and the carb stopped falling off!
Today I took a ride on a sunny and average spring day in UK after about 20 miles I opened it up and it misfired and faltered and as it was a slow traffic situation I continued on pilot and minimum throttle until I reached some straight road near to my destination wound her open again, and she did the same trick and then after 20 seconds just as I was about to give up, she cleared and ran smoothly up the revs I thought it was a rubbish blocked jet that had sucked through, but when I got to my destination the outside of the carb was running with....water. I cant believe I was getting ice in May, if I was that hose is some insulator.
When I suggested water hose I didn't think you'd get the water as well.;)
Glad you have got the Comet running OK.

b'knighted

VOC Member
My big Comet has a 34mm Mikuni fitted and my major complaint is the lack of a tickler. Several times this year I've had it develop a faltering misfire. It feels so much like the fuel starvation that I experienced when ethanol ate the taps on the Knight that my response has been to roll off the throttle while groping for the reserve tap. Running with both taps open has seemed to cure it.

If it happens again I'll stop the bike and check for ice.

vibrac

VOC Member
Perhaps my initial inclination to do something with turning an aluminium spacer tube may be necessary. However while I would never get rid of such an invaluable tool as my Harrison lathe I am trying to resist the temptation to rush to it every time I have a problem perhaps it makes solutions too sophisticated- (a bit like the Vincent design?:eek:) I should remember I did not have a lathe at home for my first 20 years of fettling.:)

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Back in the days of Type 276 and 29s the only icing you got was on a cake at Christmas!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Tim
I thought it was compulsory for every Vin owner to have a lathe in the garage.
I'm also sure it is written somewhere one must also own, or have access to, a vertical mill. Though, I'm thinking this requirement has been relaxed somewhat, a milling attachment for one's lathe will suffice now. But don't quote me on that.;)
Steven

Black Flash

VOC Member
I have fitted my 36 mm Mikuni to a TPV inlet stub using Dellorto rubber adaptor with 2 jubilee clips. it was a snug fit on the inlet but too tight to fit the Mikuni, Put it in the deep freezer over night and turned out the diameter on the lathe. Had to do it in two steps as the rubber was warming up / getting soft.
Worked a treat.
Bernd