Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i thought they were painted.

Either way, I need paint for these babys.

20210528_bspairamal1-jpg.42161

craig

VOC Member
I reviewed my records on Amal painting and found I liked the Eastwood Carb Renew silver of flat silver. Easy rattle can application. Only problem was early failure due to ethanol.
So, I am now thinking of repeating this Eastwood silver finish on these Amal and applying some protective matte clear rattle can 2k paint.

I had a hard time finding this Eastwood silver, but found an offering on eBay $20 .
Now searching for rattle can matte clear 2k

CarbRenewll.jpg

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
Trouble is a 2K rattle can of clear costs nearly £20 and once started and you have done the carb you have 3/4 of a can to throw away I did a tank recently I could have done 4! Plus the cost of a suitable effective mask and filters. I dont think ethanol petrol saves much CO2 in the motorcycle world

craig

VOC Member
Waiting for carb paint, I moved back to wiring Podtronic and hiding it under battery tray, while retaining the OEM look of a Miller regulator.

Pulled Batt tray off bike, decided to solder a brass battery post flag to the Podtronic ground wire and then sheath the remaining three wires to hide their colors and provide additional abrasion protection,

20210529_Work0.jpg20210529_Work1.jpg

The sheathing or sleeving I am pretty sure was 6mm black from British Wiring #706.
Just pushed it on over the three wires.

Last edited:

craig

VOC Member
I trial fitted all pieces on bike.
I had mounted a screw connection junction block in the reproduction, plastic housing, Miller regulator.
Why I bracket mounted the block vertically i cant explain, seemed a good idea.

Each yellow wire meets an Alton wire from the alt.
The red wire needs a wire out to connect to the wire harness going to ammeter.

20210529_Work2.jpg
20210529_Work3.jpg

Last edited:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
As an observation; when you put things under the battery carrier they are in a relatively well-protected place but should they need "attention" they can be a bit of a pain in the rear to get at.:oops: