Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Solder pot? I am a skinflint, a dome headed 5/8" nut is big enough for me held in an old box spanner it warms up in a minute
Yes but how do you control the temperature to be sure you do not damage the temper on the cable core? It is very simple to control that with a $20 solder pot.

harlowrob

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
yes solder pot is the way to go , make sure cable and nipple are clean use bakers fluid and the job is easy.Dont forget the strength is in the splayed out strands not the solder, thats there to hold it all in place.
Rob.

craig

VOC Member
I have ordered a 110v inexpensive solder pot from eBay.
Cant find the exact Bakers fluid in USA without excessive shipping from Oz or UK , so looking at Harris stay clean, Kester, Rubyfluid and others in USA.
Silver 3-6% solder for mechanical joints is available from Lowes or local weld shop.
Thank you for input on this cable soldering.
Craig

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
As I understand, Bakers fluid has to be rinsed in meths or it etches the cable. I had a lot of trouble with cable breakage using Bakers fluid before I switched to plumbers lead-free solder and flux. Cheers, Stu.
as soon as you finish the solder job it is essential to 'wash' the soldered bits in plenty of water - just wait a moment for the bits to cool a tad first otherwise you will get a dry joint. - I just hold it under a running tap for a minute. Then no issues with corrosion from the flux

craig

VOC Member
I had difficulty fitting the new MOP30S oil pump. It did not make sense as the dimension check seemed to indicate a perfect fit. After further checks I found the area surrounding the milled slot in the top of the new oil pump was lightly raised and off dimension by several thousands, quite pronounced at the ending curve.
Carefully shaved this down and perfect fit.

20210319_OilPumpFit1.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes its a tricky old job to fit and a difficult item to produce. Its a job I did when I was young and skint but nowadays I would leave it to a good engineering firm.