Misc: Everything Else 1951 Black Shadow Restoration

craig

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Get yourself a Solder pot , not expensive and makes a massive difference to the look and strength of the finished cables. Here is an example of one. Then use solder with some Silver content - it is much stronger.

Thanks Martyn, I have been considering this solder pot for 30-40 years and always differ to some other method. Give me the exact info on the solder and other supplies I will need please if you can.
Thanks for advice on this .
Craig

craig

VOC Member
Here is a close up of the bottom of the left cable.
Looks to me to be a small washer with the cable end frayed and balled up, then soldered.

The chromated bolt is 6 x 1.0 metric and just protrudes out the bottom where you see the washer and end.

SchellhaasCableEndLeft1.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
Solder pot? I am a skinflint, a dome headed 5/8" nut is big enough for me held in an old box spanner it warms up in a minute

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
I like the use of the balance beam and making the brake arm a little longer one doesn't need to make the omega links clearing the the axle spindle and a little more power to the brake. The removal of the wheel was a real pain as un-screwing the cable adjusters on the brakes plate took several minutes longer.
Also keeps cable routing familiar & tidier.
bananaman.
IMG_2598.jpeg

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Martyn, I have been considering this solder pot for 30-40 years and always differ to some other method. Give me the exact info on the solder and other supplies I will need please if you can.
Thanks for advice on this .
Craig
Wemmoto produce a tool for forming the end of the inner cable into what is known as a birds nest, which I would think is impossible for the cable fitting to pull of.
Marcus the banana man made me a set a few years ago, perhaps he could help you.
stumpy

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Wemmoto produce a tool for forming the end of the inner cable into what is known as a birds nest, which I would think is impossible for the cable fitting to pull of.
Marcus the banana man made me a set a few years ago, perhaps he could help you.
stumpy
I think you might mean Venhills https://www.venhill.co.uk/tools/compact-tools/cable-inner-wire-bird-caging-tool-vt13.html but it cost quite a bit. I think it was about £40 when I bought mine.

I cannot find it on Wemoto.

craig

VOC Member
Hi Marcus, Please explain what you did with the 6mm thread in fitting. It appears you turned them down to allow assembly thru balance beam?

CableFittingRightSide1.jpeg
CableFittingLeftSide1.jpeg