The end of riding in Wales?

Michael Vane-Hunt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And cost as much as a Dusenberg at the time.
image0(2).jpeg

andrew peters

VOC Member
there is a (replica) Roper steam motorcycle in Vancouver owned by Pete Gagan, I believe Paul Brodie was involved in the building of it...
And don't get a West Coast Canadian started on bicycle lanes!!!

vibrac

VOC Member
There is another reason for the increase in demand for 20MPH limits (not that it can be officially spoken) its called kinetic energy
The electric car is a very heavy object it also accelerates like a motorcycle and its tyres wear out in 7 thousand miles
car drivers are not used to acceleration like we motorcyclists are, they will overdo it I have witnessed 3 occurrences of huge black electric blocks shooting out of private drives across most of the road.
So double the weight add acceleration keep the same rubber (perhaps more often worn) and the same road surface and the result is obvious......
So again we are penalised for a bad technical choice by non technical bureaucrats

vibrac

VOC Member
Never mind Wales I have just been unfortunate to go by B roads through Oxfordshire . Now I know the powers of Darkness have made an onslaught on the freedom of the individual on the inhabitants of Oxford itself, but now the latest idiocy is to replace 30 limits with 20 over the whole county! No, we are not talking about a section in mid town that is 20 but the original 30 signs now have 20 on them this means you are bowling along at 50 (Its a good day when you are allowed 60 anywhere in that benighted county) and suddenly you are confronted with a 20!
Ostensibly this is to protect pedestrians but you know how adaptable humans are, get them used to the painful procession of grinding cars in the street and they will just take more chances. i will await the accident statistics in 12 months time, I can imagine what the coppers feel about policing the limit and we will say nothing about the increase in fuel consumption, journey times or the case for democracy and party mandates.
I was even glad to see the Buckinghamshire signs even though that holds the "pothole county of the country award."

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Yes I was travelling through rural on the A4095 NE from Witney in August and was astounded to find villages with wide open roads, wide footpaths, hardly any side roads and no pedestrians, no parked vehicles but 20 MPH speed limits, some extending well beyond any housing, I was left shaking my head thinking "what on earth's going on here"

eharris

VOC Member
It is all a problem with the minority spoiling for the majority.

Sixty years ago there was no national speed limit, and they built the M1. Then Jaguar road tested their Le Mans cars up and down it… (I realise that they weren’t the only ones, but I single them out for taking the mick).

Just as a point of note, the biggest growth area in car sales is currently the ”SUV”, which is generally characterised as the Range Rover. A medium spec Range Rover weighs about 2.5 tons.