Series D restoration

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Mine came fitted with both standard D centre stand and C side stands. The latter were fitted by the previous owner along with C mag cowl, C wheel spindles and chain adjusters. You could source the parts for C side stands but this would expensive and they aren't the most stable of designs. I only use the near side one when getting off, then park on the centre stand. I would consider fitting a centre stand, either a standard one because it's so easy to use, or one as advertised in MPH. A centre stand also makes maintenance easier, eg removing the rear wheel, chain, chain adjustment, timing, carb setting etc
Mac

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
I think the down pipes are the same but I've only got experience of my D. Maybe some one with both will chip in. When you fit the seat base, temporarily put a piece of foam of polystyrene on the front so that the height of the upholstery needs to be to allow the seat to fully open can be measured. I couldn't find seat clips which go at the rear so came up with a method using two different sizes of plastic conduit which is unobtrusive and has stood up for four years now with no problem. Feel free to pm me, if I can help ,I will.
Mac
Hi Mac
I know it's been a while but after a lot work (and money) we are finally putting the series D back together. I have seat base from Leighton and they will upholster it. But I am still unclear how as to how I will fit it to the frame. Do you pictures of the conduit used? Would it be possible to email them to me? This would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Hi Mac
I know it's been a while but after a lot work (and money) we are finally putting the series D back together. I have seat base from Leighton and they will upholster it. But I am still unclear how as to how I will fit it to the frame. Do you pictures of the conduit used? Would it be possible to email them to me? This would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Tommy
I've sent you an email so you can contact me directly.
Mac