Series D restoration

Tommy Shields

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've got a series D original centre stand and handle if you need one...
I've got a series D original centre stand and handle if you need one...
Hi Phil
Thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about stands. Side and centre. It has a stand at the rear that drops down from the mudguard. I will decide when the bike is pretty much back together.
Cheers
Tommy

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
I also have a Kawasaki sidestand that I was going to use but is now spare.
Hi.
I think I am going to stick with the rear centre stand. I would also like a side stand but have not given it too much thought - until now. I was going to visit a local bike breaker and see what would match. Is the Kawasaki side stand a fairly straight forward fit?
Thanks
Tommy

Phil Baker

Non-VOC Member
Hi.
I think I am going to stick with the rear centre stand. I would also like a side stand but have not given it too much thought - until now. I was going to visit a local bike breaker and see what would match. Is the Kawasaki side stand a fairly straight forward fit?
Thanks
Tommy

You'll need to drill a hole - pic attached.

Attachments

• Side stand position.jpg
    Side stand position.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 55

b'knighted

VOC Member
I'm not sure that your sidestand will fit my series D
Thanks though.
Tommy
Hi Tommy,

If you have a rear stand fitted, clipping to the bottom of the rear mudguard, it is series B or C.

The series D was supplied with a handle operated centre stand which pivots on plates mounted in the area shown in the stand picture above. There should be a tapped sidecar mount welded to the plate fitted behind the primary chaincase. This is the ideal position for an auxiliary sidestand. Fitting one on my Knight really improved my satisfaction with the bike. Mine has a rubber foot which I stand on while mounting and dismounting. Neither the rear stand nor the handle operated centre stand can be in use while mounting or dismounting and it was not unknown for me to drop the bike, normally with it heavily laden, while climbing on or, especially at the end of tiring, foul weather rides, climbing off. It was laying in a puddle in a dark country road layby, with my bike laying on my foo,t that convinced me that a propstand was needed.

I screwed a threaded plug into the sidecar fitting and tapped a plate to take a Honda VFR400 nc25 sidestand (see ebay item 150627111730 ). This plate was then welded to the end of the threaded plug. The side stand holes need to end up parallel to the ground. An extra peg will be needed to stop the threaded plug from rotating under the weight of the bike. If you are lucky RapCom will post photo's of the bracket he made to fit one of these stands to his Knight. His bracket bolts through the sidecar fitting rather than screwing into it and includes the second pegged stud to stop rotation.

b'knighted

VOC Member
I should add that the tread down stands supplied by Dave Hills, advertised in the back of MPH, can be used while mounting and, if you have exceptionally long legs you may even be able to put the stand down, scooter style, while astride. I have seen one long legged rider operate a D stand while astride. The Dave Hills' stand allows you to roll off after mounting. I'd recommend doing that before using the kickstart.

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
I should add that the tread down stands supplied by Dave Hills, advertised in the back of MPH, can be used while mounting and, if you have exceptionally long legs you may even be able to put the stand down, scooter style, while astride. I have seen one long legged rider operate a D stand while astride. The Dave Hills' stand allows you to roll off after mounting. I'd recommend doing that before using the kickstart.
Hello
The more I find out about my bike the more I realise mine is a bit of a "bitsa" as my Dad used to say. Having said that I am realising it is unlikely for there to be 2 Vincent's exactly the same. I will keep my rear C/D type stand. I will also fit a side stand, probably one that you have mentioned.
Many thanks for your input.
Tommy