Series D restoration

Jim Richardson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I got a fibreglass seat base for my Prince from Peter Gerrish, who has a set of moulds for D parts, then had a seat built onto it by Tony Archer in Huddersfield.
If this is of interest I can let you have the contact details.

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
I got a fibreglass seat base for my Prince from Peter Gerrish, who has a set of moulds for D parts, then had a seat built onto it by Tony Archer in Huddersfield.
I've contacted Leighton by email and will probably go ahead with them. They can do the whole thing.
Thanks for your response.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
It's not clear what you are doing to your engine during the restoration. When I did mine, I had valve seals fitted to the inlet valves. The engine needed a complete overhaul. I use the original D breather which I piped to an aluminium bicycle bottle tucked away behind the battery carrier and is barely noticeable. I do a few thousand miles a year and whilst you can feel air pulsing from the vent I put on the bottle, very little oil collects in there over a season ( about 1/4 ins). I put a dip tube from the breather pipe into the top of the bottle and a vent in the top at the opposite side with some SS pan scrub in it. The tubes are 1/4 diam. The dip tube is about 1/4 ins above the bottom of the bottle and I put 1 ins of oil in there to help create a slight vacuum. The only oil leak I have, is from the filter nut because this year I forgot to put some sealant on the threads at oil change time. I haven't needed an anti sumping valve and even before the rebuild a very tired engine didn't sump so I wouldn't fit an anti sumping valve unless absolutely necessary.
I got a replacement seat and exhaust down pipes from Bob Culver. There were a couple of issues with the seat. It came with a "garden gate" hinge and the front of the seat was too high because of too much padding. The seat that came with the bike was home made but had the original hinge. Even swapping the hinges did not allow the seat to lift to its full extent because it fouled the tank. I took the seat to a local trimmer who re profiled it to match the old seat and that solved the problem. The new seat has fibreglass base and was correctly fitted with captive nuts so that the original series D hinge fitted. The down pipes fitted ok but I have since changed them so that I could fit fully machined exhaust nuts. I still have them complete with cast brass nuts so if you re interested in them drop me an email. The front pipe will require re flanging. Mine is an open D.
Regards Mac

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
Hi
Sorry about the delay in gaeeting back to you. I dont think Im receiving all my messages. I think I will go ahead with Leighton building my seat.
Thanks
Tommy

Tommy Shields

VOC Member
It's not clear what you are doing to your engine during the restoration. When I did mine, I had valve seals fitted to the inlet valves. The engine needed a complete overhaul. I use the original D breather which I piped to an aluminium bicycle bottle tucked away behind the battery carrier and is barely noticeable. I do a few thousand miles a year and whilst you can feel air pulsing from the vent I put on the bottle, very little oil collects in there over a season ( about 1/4 ins). I put a dip tube from the breather pipe into the top of the bottle and a vent in the top at the opposite side with some SS pan scrub in it. The tubes are 1/4 diam. The dip tube is about 1/4 ins above the bottom of the bottle and I put 1 ins of oil in there to help create a slight vacuum. The only oil leak I have, is from the filter nut because this year I forgot to put some sealant on the threads at oil change time. I haven't needed an anti sumping valve and even before the rebuild a very tired engine didn't sump so I wouldn't fit an anti sumping valve unless absolutely necessary.
I got a replacement seat and exhaust down pipes from Bob Culver. There were a couple of issues with the seat. It came with a "garden gate" hinge and the front of the seat was too high because of too much padding. The seat that came with the bike was home made but had the original hinge. Even swapping the hinges did not allow the seat to lift to its full extent because it fouled the tank. I took the seat to a local trimmer who re profiled it to match the old seat and that solved the problem. The new seat has fibreglass base and was correctly fitted with captive nuts so that the original series D hinge fitted. The down pipes fitted ok but I have since changed them so that I could fit fully machined exhaust nuts. I still have them complete with cast brass nuts so if you re interested in them drop me an email. The front pipe will require re flanging. Mine is an open D.
Regards Mac
Hi Mac
Sorry about the delay in responding but I have not been receiving all my replies. I hadnt realised that I would have to log in to see them. Anyway, I think my father was conned away back in 1984 when he bought the bike. He thought he was buying a seried D black shadow. He actually bought a Seried D frame with a series C engine. From what I remember the engine ran well back then. It had had quite a bit of work done on it. It hasn't turned over since. It was taken over to Greece and sat in a garage until I had it shipped back. Certainly the engine appears very clean inside. The oil looked like new. It has good compression. With regards to breathing, I was going to get the Ducati reed vlave fitted to a series D breather by Conway but they don't have any in stock. My series C has a series D cap fitted so I am going to fit a pcv valve (from a car) to it. I think I will replace an anti sumping valve to it having read several articles explining the benefits. I have fitted a new filter but did not put sealant the threads. I will do this at the weekend. We are still working on the oil feed lines.The bike was a bit of a mess when I got it shipped back to Scotalnd. It had a racing sidecar fitted complete with mini wheels spliced on all round. I have had the hubs spliced on to stainless rims. After much deliberation I have kept the single disc front brake. The alternator was from a French car. I have replaced this with an Alton. It now has Bth electronic ignition and an electric starter from France. All the paintwork has been stripped down and is being repainted now. I have replaced the rear shock with a triple rate unit bought in America. I have repalced the front damper with one from VOC. I have contacted Leighton about a new seat. They will send out a seat base which I have to mount to the bike and then return to them with fittings for upholstering. I have just remembered that my engine is a series C. Will your series D downpies fit?
Many thanks in replying to my post. I hope you don't mind me picking your brains in the future.
Regards
Tommy