C: Clutch Multiplate clutch which to buy

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
If
Follow-up and news
Not content with my solution which at least proved my problems cause. I approached Ian at Vincent spares and we checked the centre drum spigot length against a standard shoe carrier and the drawings, and found the V2 spigot was 60 thou longer than required (thus allowing the outer basket to move backwards) we have contacted the manufacturer and Ian is contacting those who received the latest batch of clutches from the company (others may have purchased elsewhere) Further investigation found that previous batches of V2 clutches were OK. At 60 thou extra room in the basket I could pile on as much spring pressure as you like and my clutch still slipped - a temporary solution carried out by others was an extra clutch plate but that need in itself should indicate something is wrong.

On my 2 recently bought V2s the spigot was 3mm longer than 2 earlier ones I got from Kemp all of 10 years ago (which work well) and also a standard shoe carrier. As a result of this extension, space is created at the rear of the clutch so that the rearmost driven (steel) plate falls off the rear of the splines in the hub (by rear I mean inside). Thus only 4 of the 5 plates is gripping. Temporary cure is to put an extra friction plate at the rear which just about takes up the space. The problem then is that the extra extension plus plate means the adjuster screw is touching the cover.

Linda from Australia put me onto Harley plates which she said solved the problem and I did get some before I had finally sussed it. So if the same issue applies to her clutch I can only assume that the friction is so much better that 4 plates work well enough. They do look good and are cheaper that Ducati or stock ones, even when obtained from USA - don't ask!

Last edited by a moderator:

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The Clutch fitted to my Prince, purchased elsewhere, needed shiming, and has been fine since, that has been on the bike for a number of years.
Depends of where the shiming is done. If between the clutch centre and the outer drum then all you are doing is the work of the springs in pushing the outer basket back and creating clearance of course there is some clearance in the standard set up (some is required) which may be shimmed, but not sixty thou. the answer is to reduce the spigot to the correct dimension I think my 'fix' of washers shiming twixt outer drum and chain wheel was just a bodge to prove the problem and not a long term solution

greg brillus

VOC Member
Basically if you treat everything you fit or change on a Vincent like something in the timing chest, then you quickly realize that hardly anything just bolts on and walk away. On these bikes that is very seldom the case........just like you have found with this clutch............No factory made parts anymore, and there is your answer.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Basically if you treat everything you fit or change on a Vincent like something in the timing chest, then you quickly realize that hardly anything just bolts on and walk away. On these bikes that is very seldom the case........just like you have found with this clutch............No factory made parts anymore, and there is your answer.
Yep i ve done all in all about 70 K Km on them and still know shit, and dicipline makes it going on trying new ideas, (as is writing in a notebook) et all.
Now trying your idea about that thinner oil (diesel EP), i hope the followers dont clapper out...:rolleyes:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member

An old fellow once said to me "Ah yes, Vincents. That was a shim company that also made motorcycles."

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes that pretty much sums it up. You look at their ideas and you see signs of brilliance, and signs of a cash strapped company who struggled the whole way. I've been working part time and now full time on these bikes for about 10 years now, which some would say is just an apprenticeship. But everyday i come across things that still surprise me. Still over the years there have been many a varied machine I have worked on, and almost all older machinery, and there are far worse machines to work on than a Vincent. I've just finished repairing probably the worst set of twin cases I've ever seen, Had a customer bring his bike in, very hard to start and backfiring.........Changed the worn ATD springs...........fixed and back on the road, now I have a 48 Rapide come in after the owner hit a real bad patch of road, buckled both rims, split the rear rim..........120 mm crack along the rim, worst still..........the Brampton's are buggered too, both bent and twisted...........:eek:.

nickthehod

Forum User
VOC Member
I have fitted two club clutches with over 25k miles on one and 5k miles on the other. No problems when fitted properly to the mainshaft with correct clearence (ie as little as possible). I did find a dished plain plate helped stop a slight grabbing tendency on the first one. The second one never needed it.