C: Clutch Multiplate clutch which to buy

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello there,

I am writing on behalf of my German friend and clubmember Dieter that cannot write in English very well.
He has many problems with an old Norton clutch mod on his Black Shadow and wants to buy a new multiplate clutch.
He does not know what the pros and cons are regarding the Australian one and the one sold by the sparescompany and would like to hear about the experience of members with any of them.
He hopes this will help him to make his mind up.

I will translate your answers to him over the phone every evening

cheers
bernd

greg brillus

VOC Member
Out of the two versions, I found the one from the spares company seems to free off much easier. I found running either of them in a bath of oil makes them very reluctant to free off, so I simply wipe the plates with fresh oil, wipe off the excess and carry on with the assembly using a gasket on the clutch cover. It seems on most that the ears on the friction plates are a very snug fit in the slots in the outer basket, so i dress a few thou off every ear on every friction plate with a flat file. This seems to help the clutch "Free off" and release much better. Cheers and good luck..............Greg.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The parts are available to build a brand new, original style clutch. This is what I did and am very happy with it (apart from the cost).

I think that all of the tales of troubles with the original clutches was when people were trying to keep worn out ones running. All new parts and they are great.

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
Agree 100%.. I fitted a one piece friction disk with ears the same size as the original multiple cork insert one. The only issue I had was that it dragged badly until it was bedded in.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
My original Vincent clutch was a pain as it was very grabby so I went to a multiplate. It was OK but first thing in the morning until it warmed up the clutch used to drag and stick.
I then had my original Vincent clutch serviced properly and also with a modified single plunger spring and its the sweetest clutch ever and would never go back to a multiplate clutch.
The person who did the clutch is on this forum but I won't give his name as he only does it for friends as a hobby.

Simon

nkt267

VOC Member
I had mine done as well by the aforementioned member, best thing i had done that did not cost a fortune..

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Sounds like you can't buy the name, but you need to chat up your friends, and complain about your clutch, and if you are friends with the right person, he will offer to work on it.

vibrac

VOC Member
None of which says anything about choosing the right multiplate I am still struggling with mine I am thinking like the original it's down to meticulous preparation and for multiplate the right springs My twin is in the naughty corner untill the winter and I will use the Comet to season end

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I have both multiplates and a refurbed ( by the mystery fettler) version, the refurbed doesnt have many miles on it, but is very nice and I have every confidence in it, the V3 is on my outfit and works fine using 30ml of a light Rock oil ( if interested I look to see what spec) and the Prince is on a VOC spares clutch (dry I think) which is ok. I have another refurbed clutch so that will probably go back into the Prince at some point.
I will probably stick with the V3 on the outfit, just for the extra load it has to pull and I am contemplating a trailer to add to its burden.