C: Clutch Multi Plate Clutch - Advice Please

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Peter. Thanks for asking. I am doing better than I hoped and have a meeting with the surgeon and his staff tomorrow pm. I have been walking without crutches for over a week now and on Sunday went for a walk around my field, twice, with no extra pains. I have now cut down on the pain killers. to zero, so far today. I don't want to spend too much time stood up at a work bench yet but will be on to your job quite soon. The thought of your bike kicking you back when starting made me wince by remote control.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Trev, you know more about your starter system than I do so I am not arguing and I know that the system does not like the bike to move backwards while in gear but that is not what I perceive to be happening in this test. Once the front wheel is up against an immovable object one is only trying to move forwards and one could even block the rear wheel to stop the bike moving backwards. Certainly the bikes I have done this on did not have starters on them. Any more information would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerry

VOC Member
My clutch is apparently a V2 as sold by British Austria
Manufacturer
Vincent
Article number
V2.Clutch. complete
Price excl. VAT
€ 499,96
Variations

Clutch Vincent 1000 cc
The very latest Multiplate clutch
suitable for Rapide,
Black Shadow and Lightning
this is a direct replacement

Made in England by the Vincent Motorcycle Company

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I really do not like it when businesses or companies describe themselves as "The Vincent Motorcycle Company" they may well have a perfect right to call themselves whatever they choose, certainly if no one else is using that name, but to say the least I think it is misleading, perhaps not so for people who know they have nothing whatsoever to do with Stevenage, but some newcomers might not know this and assume they are buying a factory approved part.

delboy

VOC Member
I think that David Holder has been trading for years as "The Vincent Motorcycle Company" [Decades?]
For the youngsters amongst us, His father bought the remnants of Cope Allman, Nee' Harpers, Nee' Vincent Engineers, etc. before the club could.
They still supply certain Vincent parts to the trade; some from original tooling, some not.
delboy.

nigsey

VOC Member
My clutch is apparently a V2 as sold by British Austria
Manufacturer
Vincent
Article number
V2.Clutch. complete
Price excl. VAT
€ 499,96
Variations

Clutch Vincent 1000 cc
The very latest Multiplate clutch
suitable for Rapide,
Black Shadow and Lightning
this is a direct replacement

Made in England by the Vincent Motorcycle Company
Yes I agree it’s a V2 it’s the same as mine. I’ve just renewed the plates and springs because it was slipping and also the springs (both bought from VSC). The old springs were a lot shorter than the new ones but clutch works well now. Just to say that adjustment of the springs is very important to get the plates opening and closing evenly and running true. You’d think that by screwing the bolts in all the way the plates would open evenly but that’s not the case in my limited experience, so you have to slacken off some of the bolts until the plates run true. Sorry if I’m teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. Nigel

kerry

VOC Member
Hello Nigel, I am very pleased to hear and digest your comments, thanks. I have a multi plate on my Rapide which has been faultless and a joy to use. I intend to try the original soon on the road but I will try the V2 if the jurking continues, . questions please, do you run yours wet or dry, do you know the pushrod length ? have you fitted the new type adjuster the spares company sell which has to go inside the kick start cover.
Thanks. Kerry.

nigsey

VOC Member
Hello Nigel, I am very pleased to hear and digest your comments, thanks. I have a multi plate on my Rapide which has been faultless and a joy to use. I intend to try the original soon on the road but I will try the V2 if the jurking continues, . questions please, do you run yours wet or dry, do you know the pushrod length ? have you fitted the new type adjuster the spares company sell which has to go inside the kick start cover.
Thanks. Kerry.
Hi Kerry, I run my clutch dry. I’ve forgotten the length of my pushrod but bought a new on (two piece of course plus the roller) which I got from Maughns, I may be mistaken but I think it’s a standard size, part No G96/1. I not familiar with the new adjuster that fits into the kick start cover, does it fit on the end of the clutch cable? Photo attached of my clutch. Nigel

Attachments

• 4C722811-926D-48C9-BF6A-474B283F127D.jpeg
    4C722811-926D-48C9-BF6A-474B283F127D.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 16

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Nige, No problem on push rod as I have a 3 meter length, for those people who struggle with enough adjustment the spares company do have this modified and longer adjuster I believe it is shown in the brilliant book, 'black shadow' by Tim Kingham and possibly on the spares company lists, it replaces the existing that is on the bottom of the kick start cover and has to be fitted from the inside.
All the best, Kerry,

nigsey

VOC Member
Hi Nige, No problem on push rod as I have a 3 meter length, for those people who struggle with enough adjustment the spares company do have this modified and longer adjuster I believe it is shown in the brilliant book, 'black shadow' by Tim Kingham and possibly on the spares company lists, it replaces the existing that is on the bottom of the kick start cover and has to be fitted from the inside.
All the best, Kerry,
Thanks Kerry, that’s helpful information. Nigel