C: Clutch Multi Plate Clutch - Advice Please

kerry

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincent multi plate clutch advice please , Can anyone recognise this attached photo of a clutch supposed to have been for a Vincent Twin, and are they any good ?
I am considering fitting it as my genuine one 'grabs', (supposedly serviced)
Told multi plate ones are smooth and easy and that is true in my limited experience ? I guess I would need to have it wet ?.
Thank you.

Attachments

• WP_20190906_08_34_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20190906_08_34_06_Pro.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 27

vibrac

VOC Member
I will stick my neck out now:
Unless you are a racing nutter like me the standard clutch is preferable there are lots of advice on setting one up correctly on here I guess back in the day that knowledge was not freely available hence the proliferation of Norton clutches
It needs attention to detail to get it right and then it works for years. the fact is for road use the geometry of the lift mechanism even with certain mods is not ideal for a multiplate clutch. If ever I get enough bits together to another twin on the road (70% there) I have a Vincent clutch waiting to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerry

VOC Member
I welcome your advice Vibrac and accept you are the expert BUT ! having had Vincent's on and off for many years I am sorry to say no original clutches have been nice to use in my own experience sadly , all slipped or grabbed even when so called experts set them up for me ! My Rapide, ex Roy Cross bike had a Videan V3 Multi clutch fitted in 2002 and is perfect with 3 20Ib and 3 25Ib springs fitted and untouched for these past 20 years.
Thanks.
Kerry.

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Peter, Maybe I have been unlucky with my standard Vincent clutches over the past 45 years, but why if they are so good would an expert like Roy Cross fit a V3 20 years ago to all his bikes ? Why do the Spares Company sell Multi plate clutches ? Ok so tonight I must research setting up a Vincent clutch but that said the one in question has been so called professionally done, it does not slip but 'grabs' however it has not been on the road for a while so maybe I need to get a good ride in once the DVLA manage to allow me to tax it etc. (in hand)
Kerry.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Kerry

I am unable to answer your question, but my experience over many years, since 1965 to precise, is this, a bad Vincent clutch is a most dreadful thing, it can slip, grab frighteningly aggressively, and back in the day it could fail completely if the primary clutch destroys its corks or the one piece Ferodo clutch plate disintegrates. Happily now we have excellent bonded primary clutch plates, but an original Vincent clutch, using the correct component parts, and set up correctly is a thing of sublime beauty in operation. I have experienced the very worst and the very best of the Vincent clutch.

Mostly I have assembled my own clutches, with the exception of the shoes, and I prefer if possible to use genuine Stevenage factory shoes, bored and bushed if worn oversize, and the plunger housings reclaimed, and then relined and the plungers set up on a jig.
In the past I have entrusted this work to Maughan and Sons, Bob Culver and The Godet Workshop, all have done excellent work for me.

The only real trouble I have had recently is the tang snapping off the C45 spring, and then the C20 nut unwinding itself, resulting in the loss of clutch disengagement at the lever, this might be due to an underlying problem of spline wear on the clutch shaft, or the clutch shoe carrier, or both, but I have solved this problem completely by tying the C20 nut to the slots in the shaft using a very close fitting key, retained by the C45 spring, you should be able find the details on one of my posts relating to clutch problems, it has been referred to as a bodge, but it works, and I am no longer reliant on very thin spring wire tang that has been bent at a right angle when cold to form a crude key. I spoke to a retired friend of mine who worked in the spring industry for many years, he took one look at a new C45 spring and condemned it, his comment was "of course the tang snaps off, what would you expect, it has been bent when cold, and then you can't de-stress it without destroying the spring"

Good luck with your clutch.

Peter

Last edited:

kerry

VOC Member
Hi Peter,
I actually had a clutch done by one of the ones you mentioned and it has caused problems ever since to the person who bought it from me a few years ago. As I said this bike has sat for a while after having the clutch done so maybe it will not grab after a little use, then I think I have nothing to lose by trying this multi plate one. The grabbing is not on the initial take off it's just after once the rev's build up a bit.
Thank you again, all very interesting.
Kerry.

delboy

VOC Member
Hi Kerry,
something weird with your Vincent clutch if the grab is after the initial take-off? And, wishful thinking if you think it will heal itself after a little use.
If correctly fettled and assembled the Vincent clutch works fine, although slightly fierce taking up compared to a multi plate.
If you want it to work correctly, I suggest you contact Stuart Spaulding; forum "clutch guru", who will sort it.
The only thing you might lose in trying the multi plate, is a possible long fitting session, or not if your lucky and everything fits perfectly.
As we all know everything does....
Good luck.
delboy.