C: Clutch Multi Plate Clutch - Advice Please

Nigel Spaxman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think yours is a V2. I have one on my bike. I bought it used from MPH Floggers corner about 15 years ago. I use kevlar plates from Barnett. They also fit some Kawasakis and Harleys. The inside of my primary is cut away so that the clutch runs wet with the primary chain. I run it wet, often in ATF but sometimes I use regular motorcycle oil. I only use four of the 6 springs because I find that gives lots of grip, but three springs wasn't enough. You will need more lift than the standard mechanism gives. I use a lever with 1 1/8" centers instead of the original 7/8" type. Also I have a mushroom shaped adjuster that moves the lower pivot point of the arm further out. It works great. If it grabs and squeals it means I have to top up the oil in my primary. I put a bit more oil in the primary than is normal.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I also have a V2 with Barnett kevlar plates. It runs in a bit of ATF. I use all of the springs bolted down fully but the clutch is still quite light to operate.
To get even lift I swapped the springs around years ago.
The clutch was on the bike when I bought it in 2004 and has worked well for 60,000 miles since.
Over half of that mileage has been two up with luggage. I replaced the friction plates a few thousand miles ago as they had worn down quite a bit.
It seemed prudent to change the plates before they started slipping.

It's a really nice clutch. It has never slipped or dragged and can be feathered as needed when taking off on an uphill grade with the bike fully laden.

Glen

roger v

VOC Member
Then you`ll be back to me for another stater gear.
Hi Trever , have looked at the Suzuki 750 clutch as a means of fitting a belt drive and starter ring gear , apparently this was a popular mod as a mate of mine picked up such a clutch modified to accept a flanged carrier . I am new to Vincents but I assume that any form of multi plate must have this feature . The back of his basket had a welded on top hat to give thread depth for the fixing . Do you know if this adaptor is readily available . Roger

clevtrev

VOC Member
Certainly not one I produced, mine all had the thread in the steel adaptor, and no, not now available, in fact I have not made one for 30 years