Knipex

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
With the condition of most parts I decided on lots of modifications I thought useful or more reliable. So yes, all new homemade cam spindles with M8x1 threads, no nylocs there but small o-rings in recesses. Cams got crowded needle bearings in these new Andrews cams I got 30 years ago. The two head stock threads helicoiled for M 8 , simple. BMW 34x51x12 mm taper roller steering bearings like I did 20 years ago on the 1935 Horex four-valver. No hollow axles anywhere, metric taper rollers with lathe set distance tubes between inner races , swing arm as well. Certainly no felt seals but modern seals , no protruding hollow axles, hate them when changing tires. Cam plate spindle is different in holding the cam plate UP with a flange and a nut from above bolting the lot up onto the alu block inside. My idea to get a stronger assembly from this, the imperial thread was no factor here, just my idea of a stronger longer lasting design. The threads on both sides of gearbox mainshaft are still imperial but the clutch end was turned down a bit for restoring a nice undersize thread with good flanks so I made undersize nuts as well. Same with the other end for bolting up the drive sprocket: The Spares Co flat nut was very sloppy in my eyes so I made new strong nuts for hook spanners, no hexagon there. I can do imperial no problem - when I want to and it makes sense.
The crankshafts and conrods are all homemade and in most places metric, just fits for oil pump scroll and half time pinion certainly imperial size. I never said imperial threads were weaker, just today they are not practical to have, not in UK really, even less in rest of world - when you put down the rose tinted glasses. Still there is a lot left for completing the bikes, hope I live long enough - and I got some more bikes for restoration.

Vic
P1050791.JPG

P1090107.JPG

P1100239.JPG

P1100232.JPG

P1070648.JPG

P1050484.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
As Normal, Wonderful work,
Just wish I could do this stuff,
Would be nice to hear it, And see it run.

It would break your heart to see my work !,

Don't know about you, But I am running out of time,
Must get in the garage this year !,
I admit if I am looking for a nut and bolt, It's very often Metric,
Just want to get the thing going, I always rush a build at the end.

Must get out on my other bikes soon, Or I will go MAD .

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
I dont like helicoils that much, as its a rectangulair on the piss, and easealy distorted when used more times,
i go either to bit of 7075 alu insert with any outside thread. great to make an a Schaublin.

Or to TIMESERTS
By Wurth. Expensive yes but its like a helicoil, except being a solid insert. Same pitch inside as outside.
Hence Bsw becomes Unc.
Great for them Primary and timing covers, with long lenghts deep too.
Who gives a shit about the lost 5 degrees.?? And one can glue them in!!!

Have not found them with Bsf.

And going Unf.
A step to far!!!

oexing

VOC Member
Well, still I got no Knipex like here shown, but possibly some other pliers from that brand. Sure, I got some monkey wrenches, very small ones and a very big one , for some operations. But I am not convinced yet about having it on the bike, too bulky on many places. I prefer real spanners in correct sizes - but then, when you look for monkey wrenches on YT in clips from US or UK, you can find them in workshops for good reasons. I guess mechanics see a big need for adjustable wrenches for dealing with funny head sizes of all sorts of "standards" in the imperial world - actually a small world today, mostly US plus Liberia and Myanmar remaining.

Vic