Bruce!!!

I come and buy some!!

The best!

Back to the future!!
20230309_194635.jpg

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To continue my theme of products in the US not in UK homedepot is banned at least via my server
However there are a lot of knipex pliers on UK screwfix how about a picture Bruce so we can see if its there

oexing

VOC Member
What´s the thing about Knipexes ? I´d think you can get them on all continents ? Well, at a price certainly. Look into my link and there are thousands of all sorts of products from Knipex. Got a few of these but mostly I look at prices as often the simpler products will last for your life anyway. So you have to decide if you really need expensive "professional" types when you don´t need them all the time.

Vic
Knipex

oexing

VOC Member
Schlüsselzange - Zangenschlüssel ? First in my link above. I know you love them but for roadside repairs I´d rather take the monkey wrench. But really I want the ring spanners with correct size - most fasteners will be metric once I am finished with the Vincents.

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Metric simply due to the practicality. It is a PITA to get decent BSW fasteners or threading tools today. So when I come across poor threads , out with the Helicoil for metric. So then I can have a small kit of metric tools on the bike when I feel the need. That is 10, 13, 17 and 19 mm spanners. No funny hexagons from BSF, BSW, BA or what not, so you´d have to hunt for obsolete spanners for each standard. I accept UNF and that is it. Amusing for me all these discussions here about obscure threads which obviously lead to several problems in the workshop or on the road. No, I am not a collector of obsolete fasteners, rather of classic bikes and metric fasteners do not spoil the spirit of the bike - unlike modern components which everybody can see as non-standard. And no, I don´t care about compromised "values" with non-standard bikes once I have to sell them. Nobody can tell what the situation will be in 20 or 30 years in this respect, so I don´t worry about that.

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, basically that ISO standard was introduced a few decades ago. I got some milling machine fasteners with 18 and 16 mm hexagons. But in real life most bolts and nuts you buy still got the old sizes and will be for a long time I think. At least longer than I will care at 70 soon . . . .
When it is about commission here, the lobbyists are elsewhere: The industry is interested in saving material so that is why we see new norms - like with Japanese fasteners weight optimized since many decades. So don´t shoot at politicians or administration, they are just puppets really.
Vic