Misc: Everything Else Headlights on

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I have tried the HID and LED lights. A good old H4 is still pretty good. Some of the smaller motorcycles and scooters use a 35W H4 halogen bulb. Contrary to what you may have heard, size isn't everything. Running a 35W bulb on full Voltage gives a far better output than running a huge bulb with the resulting Voltage drop.

Monkeypants

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have tried a few LED H4 replacements. All were very bright but poorly focussed for night riding.
So it was back to the H4 60/55 halogen in the Norton and a BPF 55/45 Halogen in the Vincent. Both are excellent at night, but a lower wattage draw would allow for more heated clothing. I use a vest now, would like to add heated Monkeypants.
Last week I tried a new type of H4 LED replacement that was recommended to me by a member of the Norton Forum.
At a cheap $31 CDN I was doubtful it would be any better than all of the other LEDs tried to date. Im pleased to say I was wrong!
It makes the H4 60 watt halogen seem like a flashlight with spent batteries.
It does draw a lot more power than any of the other LEDs I've tried. Those have all been 10-15 watt.
This one is 30 watts, still a big savings over the 60 watt Halogen.
A 60watt Halogen produces 1000 lumens. This 30 watt LED produces 5000 Lumens, and it is properly focussed.
You will need to dim your headlight when oncoming vehicles approach. This is something I rarely did with the Halogen. I don't recall any car driver giving me the high beams even when the 60 watt was left on high.
I forgot to dim with the 30 watt LED and was immediately given flashing high beams from an oncoming car.
I have this fitted to the Norton as it already had an H4 type lens and reflector. I've ordered an H4 lens/reflector and two more of the LEDs.
If the H4 lens/reflector fits OK I will order enough to convert all of the BPF headlights to this LED.
Also will put 2 into the 2 H4 headlights on the Daytona and possibly have a look at the ThruxtonR. It has a good headlight but nothing like this LED.

Glen

Last edited:

John Cone

VOC Member
I use an LED headlight bulb from this company on my Prince. It's made in the UK and has a very good dip to the left beam. Unlike the Chinese ones that just seem to be bright or brighter with no pattern.

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_0001.jpg
    IMG_20200128_0001.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 29

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
It's saying "currently unavailable" and "we don't know when this will be back in stock" also it's 6500k which means it's the intense blue/white which I don't like.
There was a lot of purchasing done on the Norton Forum, I'm not surprised they sold out.
Can't help you on the 6500k part. I like that for daytime riding because , even though it might annoy car drivers, they can't help but take notice of it.
I went out for a ride today, quite chilly so vest on. Also full headlight on, and coil ignition, voltage monitor goes to green (13.2 v) at 2000 revs on the Norton. It needed 3000 rpm to do the same with the 60watt halogen & vest. And the drivers didn't know I was there with the warm friendly halogen. Today with 5,000 lumens of 6500k they did!

Glen

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
The bulb mentioned by Monkeypants sounds OK but as I am averse to even buying an old sock from Amazon (I get at least one phone call a week about "my account" with them.... if I actually had one it would keep me up at night!) I looked elsewhere and a very funny crowd of "sellers" came up none of them main stream UK dealers.. Paul Goff is a guy I respect a lot so his offer sounds OK but its not the amazon one has anyone tried it?