Misc: Everything Else Headlights on

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For the first time in a long time during the Spanish Columbres rally I used my Comet Headlight in the dark. It was OK in a sort of fifties way, but I am sure I could do better and preferably with an LED headlight bulb as I run an Electric Start on a 12v Lithium battery/Alton. I am aware that all that technology moves fast and is improving all the while and I have no worries if I have to throw out the H4 fitting, so whats the latest suggestions for a 6-1/2" Headlamp?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Tim,
I didn't reply, as this has been discussed many times before, which you can find using the search facility.

I will however recap for you.
If you have the H4 P43T (Standard current style) then many of the Chinese lamps do work, but go for something that has the power driver and fan all built in. Beware that some of the very cheap ones have a very poor cut off on dip. I use ones recommended by Brian Chapman (BTW happy birthday for yesterday Brian)
If you have the older P45T round style fitting then you are stuffed, but you can fit the repo' light unit from a Honda CB250N Superdream to get the better bulb fitting

Neil

PS
I was using HID, but found it a bit to unpredictable

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a CB 250 N reflector, which is the P45T, and an adaptor (from Paul Goff) to H4 P43T and use a 55w/55w halogen bulb (I'm on12v)

I have tried LEDs and found one that gave a good beam and dip cut off but the blue/white light was absorbed by foliage and dark tarmac more than I liked.

This was 3 or 4 years ago so you might be able to get a "yellower" bulb now, somewhere in the 4000k range rather than the 6000-6500k which would be good.

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
I think the H4 is still a good choice. That's what I use. It takes a bit of power but your Alton should have enough as long as you don't have to ride slow in town all the time. If you run the power through the original lighting switch there is a lot of voltage drop and your light will be more yellow and less bright than you want. I use a system of two relays to power the lights so there is little voltage drop. There is a company called Eastern Beaver that makes some nice relay systems. I have bought a few of those and find them easier than hooking it all together myself. If you want to use an LED depending on which one you use you may find you will need to use some relays to get enough voltage to run 12V LEDs. The LEDs do use less power.

craig

VOC Member
What is the recommended LED sealed beam if you have a Miller sealed beam.

MillerSealedBeam4.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
I often use the search system but when the technology moves like the LED does I was wanting to see what was the latest
I am no electrical genius so Nigel's comment about relays for LED has me a little confused are we saying the 'normal' supply will activate the relay and the headlight supply comes directly from the battery to preserve the voltage?
when by chance years ago I had to direct wire a headlight and saw the improvement that fact was remembered with the latest Comet when I left the original switch out

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you are still on 6v many LED bulbs will possibly not work, by using relays and power direct from the battery you minimise the voltage lost and may get a better result. I have tried 3 LED bulbs only one of which would work on 6v, but that was just a trial on one of my other bikes, my Vincent is 12v