H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H19 Hub Bolts

Shane998

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Re item 499, Simmons lock nuts, my first twin and my current B have those hub bolt locknuts with a red coloured insert - standard issue - surely the equivalent of a modern nyloc ? The insert appears to be fibre, not nylon. Fitted to Vins for years !
Hi all.

Am shortly to build up a couple of wheels for my Comet, and a Member of my Section suggested using Allen bolts (with the necessary plain section at the top where it goes through the hub and brake drum) and Nyloc nuts.

Not only will it be a darn sight cheaper than using the eccentric bolts, but a lot quicker.

Thoughts?

View attachment 54119
I am not sure price of hub bolts you have looked at maybe high if they are stainless but Neal Videan has them cad plated at $6.60 each Australian

davidd

VOC Member
Nyloc nuts are just fine, as I mentioned. You just have to understand their limitations. They do not remain tight, so they need maintenance over the years. They are not fireproof, as Greg points out, so they should not be used where they are exposed to heat. They are generally prohibited in front of the firewall, or where flames can reach.

As Vic points out, chemicals will usually not let go of the clamping load, which is a big plus. The downside of chemicals is that sometimes the situation does not allow proper cleaning or curing times. Application in the shop is usually ideal.

Lock wire is often not effective as the wire will stretch, allowing the clamping force to release. Like a Nyloc, you won't lose the nut, but if you need the clamping force to remain stable, use chemicals even if lock wiring is required.

David

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I looked in the October MPH to see if there was a Videan advert, but none. Also googled, but no website found. What is the best way to see what he has available?