H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H19 Hub Bolts

john998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, Have used Allen bolts on both my solo and outfit for 40 years or more, some with nylock and some with stainless dome nuts. Have not had any problems. Have had a sprocket back off a couple of times. John.

vibrac

VOC Member
I was present when a well known member was fettling a bike for a major rally. I commented at the "play" in the rear wheel. We "found" two missing nuts, two loose nuts and a very sad rear sprocket. To my amazement, the owner only fitted new nuts and bolts. They slid through the drum and hub with plenty of clearance. So glad I didn't ride it.
I was one of the scrutineers at the VOC Ramsey Sprint in 99.... lets just say it was worrying
Now the MOT is a distant memory an inspection session at a Rally would be 'interesting'

fogrider

VOC Member
Re item 499, Simmons lock nuts, my first twin and my current B have those hub bolt locknuts with a red coloured insert - standard issue - surely the equivalent of a modern nyloc ? The insert appears to be fibre, not nylon. Fitted to Vins for years !

greg brillus

VOC Member
Well there is always a correct and not so correct way to do anything i guess........Bolts that have tensile and shear loads should have a shank on them, thus acting like dowels........Ok yes your threaded "Set screw" type bolts might survive years with no trouble........But some folk have a tendency to ignore most all things, and this can result in things coming loose........The folk who's bikes tend to break down on a rally.......There are Mechanic's and then there are "Mechanics".........every one makes their own choice........Instead of getting a dozen differing opinions from experts in magazines or forums, it is always best practice to simply look at how the factory did it........They spend far more time and effort to get something right, than someone who simply wants an easy and/or cheap fix........Or a tool box full of imperial and METRIC spanners.......Yes, cause there's so much room in there....... To each his own....... I say.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Years ago in a fit of unusual prescience, I bought quantities of ex-R.A.A.F. surplus Simmonds and "Aerotight"nuts, and many aircraft standard bolts. I tend to think that the Factory knew what it was about: I've seen a Shadow rear sprocket fitted with 6mm. socket-cap screws and nuts! I'd rather use a 80 year old War- surplus bolt or nut than any undifferentiated stainless Walmart/ Halfords shiny tat. I'm also in the workshop habit of grasping , say, a 1/4" Whitworth spanner and just going over every nut and bolt on the bike that presents itself. Next time it occurs to me I do the same with a different size of spanner. It is a bit random, but things don't tend to fall off my bike.

Flo

VOC Member
Well there is always a correct and not so correct way to do anything i guess........Bolts that have tensile and shear loads should have a shank on them, thus acting like dowels........Ok yes your threaded "Set screw" type bolts might survive years with no trouble........But some folk have a tendency to ignore most all things, and this can result in things coming loose........The folk who's bikes tend to break down on a rally.......There are Mechanic's and then there are "Mechanics".........every one makes their own choice........Instead of getting a dozen differing opinions from experts in magazines or forums, it is always best practice to simply look at how the factory did it........They spend far more time and effort to get something right, than someone who simply wants an easy and/or cheap fix........Or a tool box full of imperial and METRIC spanners.......Yes, cause there's so much room in there....... To each his own....... I say.
Screw threaded bolts, notwithstanding where along their length, may NEVER subjected to shear loads. Any.forces are solely transmitted by friction between the clamped parts generated by axially prestressing the bolts!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think most time they are found loose,
Is because they were never tight in the first place ?,
Being hard to get in there with a spanner,
Best doing them up , A little at a time , Going across, Side to side.
Can't spell Diagonal :) .

fogrider

VOC Member
On 2 Vin wheels, I have re-used the red insert Simmons nuts. They look so right. All tightened OK as long as I had'nt run a tap through them. There is also the option of a touch of threadlock if needs be.
Why can't the makers of nylocs fit red inserts instead of blue ? .

Come on China - you love red !

vibrac

VOC Member
Marcus must have missed this thread (pun) I was hoping he would contribute I think he actually threads the hub and screws into it