C: Clutch G96

Kevin Emery

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello

What should be the length of a G96 clutch push rod?
I suspect mine has been cut to add a ball bearing but neither end shortened so the overall length is too long.

Thanks for your help with this.

Kevin Emery

VOC Member
Hello Stu

The overall length of the push rod I have removed is 10 1/2". It appears to be just a little to long to adjust properly. I think the overall length should be a little shorter.

That doesn't seem to fit with the 6" you have quoted?

craig

VOC Member
This doesn't change the length of anything.
My clutch rods are 6" as well.
I have used a ball, but it wears the rods too much, so a roller is better.

. SeriesDClutch.jpg

Kevin Emery

VOC Member
I don't know how to proceed now. Some thing does not add up.

The VOC Spares site shows I need two G96/1 pushrods and a roller 321/1 which is described a 1/4 x 1/4 roller. Two pushrods (at 6") and one roller is a combined length of 12 1/4". Hope that is correct so far?

The two pushrods and ball bearing I have has a combined length of 10 1/2". Please see photo attached.
DSCF3345-A-Small.jpg

If I purchased two new pushrods and roller there is no possible way they could fit. I don't understand this. Where am I going wrong?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think there are some thicker friction plates now ,
Compared to the old type, So you might need a longer pushrod ?,
Depending on how the adjuster in the gear selector end is adjusted , Could alter it ?,
And the adjuster in the outer clutch plate ?.
But whatever, As I said before , You can add or take away one or more 1/4" 1/4" rollers,
And chop a bit off a rod to what you want .
Also if it had a T.T. needle roller Mod' done to it , Might be different again ?.
So much can be done to these Bikes !!.
Cheers Bill.

timetraveller

VOC Member
This is just a suggestion and might not be applicable depending upon exactly what is stripped down. Why not push a piece of stiffish wire down the gearbox mainshaft from the clutch end and just measure the total distance. The kick start cover end will push up against the clutch operating arm which is only a small distace from that end of the mainshaft. At the clutch end the pushrod need to stick out a sinificant fraction of an inch depending upon what clutch you have and whether you have a needle roller thrust race. If you have the whole thing apart just measure the length of the gearbox mainshaft.