Comet suspension

A-BCD

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here's John Surtees in 1995 on his twin..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpPTxAa3hJ0 You can see the modified front spring boxes, but not the rear end - might have been long Girling-type units mounted on the rear head bracket ?

Here's the best still I could capture:
JohnSurteestwin_zps6846f4cf.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Howard, could you post them in the Photos section? They'll be bigger there. Edit: Ooops, you did. thank you.

On another item, how many of us will ever be able to look at a lower link again without seeing if it is tipped up or down?

Here is another pic: http://www.airscene.co.uk/airshow-reviews/images/2012/dunsfold-airshow-2012/John-Surtees.jpg

I believe the red bike is a replica that Max Lambky built for Larry Feece. I sent him an e-mail today to ask, but have not heard back.

Last edited:

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Howard,
Many thanks for putting the Email on the forum for me. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that the bottom of photo 40 is missing, which has cut off most of the bottom link.
Hopefully I'm better with bikes than I am with computers!!
Best wishes
John

John Emanuel

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Bill,
It just seemed such a bad idea to have the front wheel travel up and forwards, that I figured I couldn't make it worse. I think the brave ones are those who ride standard
bikes.:)
Best wishes
John

Howard

VOC Member
Hello Howard,
Many thanks for putting the Email on the forum for me. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that the bottom of photo 40 is missing, which has cut off most of the bottom link.
Hopefully I'm better with bikes than I am with computers!!
Best wishes
John

No problem John. I'm going to post other people's technical stuff more often, I think I got more "thanks" and "likes" than you did.

H

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Reply for John Emanuel, I don't consider myself brave for riding my rapide "standard". For the last 5 years it has been a fine companion over many thousand miles, never given me any troubles at all.(apart from maintenance) Rides hands off up to and including 90 mph. Makes me wonder what you all are worried about. If mine can do it, all as per factory, why can't the others.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Reason is simple Roy, not everyone has been so lucky......no matter how dedicated a Vincent man you are ( aren't we all.....) The facts are, that Girdraulics do have issues, and this thread has gone a long way towards giving others the benefit of many peoples experiences, and the possibility of a cure.....Greg.